Newly hatched chick keeps flipping on back

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
I have this little Wheaten Ameraucana chick that has had a rough day... Pipped early this morning on day 23. Just kicked out of the shell about 2 hours ago and had the shell still stuck around where the yolk sack was. I cut that off and the little bugger keeps flipping on its back. I took it out of the incubator and it seems to be doing better sitting on my lap with my hand and a blanket to snuggle its head up to. I do have to leave in a half hour... I don't know what to do with it. I have 5 others that hatched on day 21 already in the brooder. I'm using the MHP.
Could something be wrong or should I stick it back in the incubator and hope it figures out not to flip on its back?? Or put it with the other chicks under the MHP? It's the last chick so the incubator is cleared out.

I'm not sure where you should put it for heat, but those chicks I put in a sour cream container with a folded paper towel in the bottom. It usually will keep them upright until they work it out.

Well, I put the chick under the MHP and when I came back home it seemed to have figured out which side was right side up but then it looked like it was trying to swallow something. It was the same motion a chicken does when it drinks water. So I opened its mouth to find really thick saliva all over so I cleared that out... I tell ya, this poor thing is not having a good day! It seems happy/content out with the others and just wants to sleep. It's super cuddly and desperately wants to be under something, anything! My hand, the other chicks, or the MHP.
I don't have high hopes for this little one as it just seems "off" still but if its alive in the morning I will grab some sort of vitamin booster and try and give it a boost. I don't know what else to for it. I really want this chick to live as it is the only chick that hatched out of a hen that was killed by a roaming dog days after the eggs were set.

IMG_4133.JPG
Looks like this one will make it! This little chick had me scared for a while!

Back
Top Bottom