Newly Hatched Chicks- how to "teach" them to eat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shadowhills Farm, May 15, 2010.

1. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    We have raised chicks before, but NEVER a newly hatched chick. Our Frizzled Cochin hen is sitting on about 15-20 eggs right now, and one hatched this morning. Cute little guy. He wont stop chirping, though! I taught him to drink, but how do I teach him to eat? He has a bowl of feed in the brooder, along with water.

Thanks for any tips!

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    You gently press thier beaks into the water and then food......they will pick it up quickly!

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

He doesn't need to eat right away. If he's with a mama hen, she will do all the teaching that he needs!

4. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Quote:He is in the brooder as Mama hen will not get off the nest....she still has about 15 eggs under her. We found this guy running around with the big chickens in the coop today.

5. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

They figure out eating very quickly. If you already dipped his beak in the water, he'll figure the food out on his own. You are giving him chick starter crumbles, right?

6. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Quote:Yes, he is on Starter/Grower 20%....just looks like the crumbles are big for him LOL. I think he already figured it out as I saw feed in the water when I checked on him earlier.

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Good Luck with them....and Congratulations!!

8. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Mama hen will do all the mothering he will need. You just sit back and enjoy!

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

You do not need to teach it to eat. They do not even need to eat for 3 days, as they are absorbing the yolk for nutrition. The first 2 - 3 days they sleep most of the time.

10. dab045

dab045 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    Congrats on your little one and how cute running around on his own Good luck on all the rest of the hatch. I have raised chickens from brand new from the US Mail but never have had my hen hatch one of hers so I let my silkie sit on two silkie eggs and 3 leghorn. So last Friday exactly day 21 one of the silkies hatched I was SOOOOO excited and watching very closely that all was well well I knew the leghorn eggs were maybe 2 or three days later hatch and I was worried that the little guy wasnt getting any water or food so I put a little water and food next to nesting box on day 3ish of his birth. Ok well got home from work on day 4 and the little guy was GONE!!! I searched everywhere............................ My mind was wondering what could of happened there before work and gone when I got home. He could of got out of the pen or something maybe a rat? got in. Now there is about an 11 inch drop from the hen house to floor. I knew I should of just got the baby and raise her separately but I just thought mamma would teach him but I was wrong. To high of a drop wasn it? the little guy probably jumped down and got out of the run with a small hole there was I would of thought mamma would of jumped down and tended to him. I was away for maybe 6 hours. Ok I had a lesson BUT guess what I just came in this evening and a leghorn egg was hatched. I'll be darned if I will let anything happen to this guy. I plugged up the hole for tonight while I ask you guys what to do. Thank you and again this thread was an answer already saying mamma will teach to eat and drink thank you. Good luck on all the rest of your eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by