newly hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dadsgirl, Sep 20, 2008.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    i was told that once your chicks hatch , they need electrolytes and vitamins in there water, is this true, and if so what kind do i use and for how long ??? thanks, angie

2. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Others state that it gives the chick a better start. I don't use it and haven't lost any chicks that didn't have a deformity. I just use plan water and sprinkle mash on the paper towels.

3. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    We never put anything in a chick's water before... but maybe someone knows something I don't about keeping them more healthy... I wonder. [​IMG]

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    This is my first hatch, but I've had two that were a bit sick so I ran out and got Target's brade of pedialite (unflavored).

I have one bowl of water and one bowl of that, and they've been sucking down the pedialite! So if nothing else, they seem to like it!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I gave my chicks 2% milk in the PM and water in the AM.

They thrived.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I only gave mine chick starter and lots of water. I have never lost a chick. I must be blessed.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:The only thing I do with my chicks water, is to put a tsp. of sugar in a quart of water...It's supposed to make them regain their energy. If you plan on hatching a lot of chicks though, it wouldn't hurt to give them electrolytes. With as much as they drink, one pack would last you FOREVER!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by