Newly purchased chicken is sick.

About all you can do is try to give some electrolytes and vitamins, and try to get them to eat and drink. Poultry NutriDrench or similar is good to use for a few days. Moistened chicken feed, scrambled egg, and vary it with tuna or canned cat food to try and get some nutrition. Worming them when they are strong enough would be good. We have all made mistakes in wanting more chickens, and sometimes ending up with sick birds. I would be careful not to let them around your other chickens and wash your hands before handling your flock. Use good biosecurity methods. Most state vets will perform a necropsy if you lose one of the birds, to see what illness it may have had. Good luck with nursing them back to health.

Update: I’ve been syringing a solution of egg yolk and water straight into her mouth for the last couple hours and have found the crop to be squishing, no solids in it. Is this normal when on a liquid diet or is there something wrong? Is something stopping her from getting the nutrients she needs?

I just want to reassure you that every other chicken keeper has made mistakes in the beginning and nearly every one of us continues to make mistakes even decades into the hobby. Don't beat yourself up over choosing a sickly chicken while being pressured by a seller who has her own agenda. As a matter of fact, I believe the ill hen has had a better life with you in the last few days than it's had in its entire life. I'm glad you're working to save her life but, even if the worst happens and she shuffles off these mortal coils, she'll have had you to give her a little respite.

Best luck!

I just want to reassure you that every other chicken keeper has made mistakes in the beginning and nearly every one of us continues to make mistakes even decades into the hobby. Don't beat yourself up over choosing a sickly chicken while being pressured by a seller who has her own agenda. As a matter of fact, I believe the ill hen has had a better life with you in the last few days than it's had in its entire life. I'm glad you're working to save her life but, even if the worst happens and she shuffles off these mortal coils, she'll have had you to give her a little respite.

Best luck!
That means so much to me, thank you.

She has tucked her head into her side, and isn’t responding when I pet her. She’s still going but is this the end? She still hasn’t eaten or drank anything. I’ve tried putting her outside, she just sits there. I know I should’ve expected this, but it’s just so heartbreaking when it happens. Is there anything else I can do to make her comfortable? I’ve made her warm, and she’s got everything she needs in my little hospital for her. It’s quiet and peaceful, but is there anything else I can do except wait?

Is it cocci, do I try treating her for that?

Hey @Dimondel, so sorry to hear about your new girls. :( I've had a rather bad experience with sick chickens too and I was too nice to question their conditions before buying.

With a cocci infection, you will usually see blood in their stools but as your girls are already so sick, I would avoid treating them with more medication. Like @Eggcessive said, best to just feed them some nutrient supplement like NutriDrench for now.

Right now you may have to just emotionally prepare yourself for the worse. Hope you have better luck next time and don't be afraid to say no in the future if you sense something is wrong! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom