News of the Weird!

I don't think that this is a spanking vs non spanking issue. Different things work for different kids and different situations. I think the most important thing is that children know that they have boundaries, and that if their parent says there is a consequence attached to bad behavior, it will be followed up on. In my limited scope of things, this has made all the difference.

Yeah, and they were going to charge a 6 year old boy with sexual assault for hitting a 5 year old girl on the butt playfully, and the girl's mother didn't even want him charged. How stupid. But they should charge the boy because hitting a teacher is plain wrong.

i think it has to do with the media. alot of people from a generation or 2 or 3 behind now didnt have alot of media afecting them, video games, TV, movies, junk! but now days kids will sit infront of the TV and learn that whatever the people do on TV is ok to do in real life, just my honest opinion . and the parents dont do a thing. well some of them. but thankfuly there are a few good people in the world left.

A woman bought her 12 year old son that game for Christmas at Wal-Mart once, and told me that he just HAS to have it!!! He had just turned 12 a month before.....

Think that's bad.....standing in line @ the grocery store the other day (actually a while back) and overheard a young couple with a 3-4 year old and daddy the "tattoo artist" was actually talking about putting a "tat" on the kid.....
barnie.gif
th.gif
he.gif

First let me say I'm sooo happy I don't have children.
big_smile.png
I'll also say that I was spanked, yelled at and disciplined with some frequency as a kid (Naval officer for a dad) and it did nothing but drive me to behave worse. Obviously, not all children react the way I did. I've managed to get my self together now, in my thirties, but honestly I don't know how I avoided jail for many years. I really think that the way in which a person disciplines their kids isn't a decision that can be made outside of any given situation. It depends on the child, the parent, the setting and the deed.
As far as the original post goes: you can't expect a person to discipline their child for something they don't perceive of as wrong. Considering it was this kids grandmother that couldn't wrap her head around a simple behavioural problem, I think the 'good 'ol days' theory just got shot in the foot. Life has never been simple for people. If it's not media exposure, it's brigands in the forest. At least people don't die from infected teeth anymore (at least not in this country).

Back
Top Bottom