Newspaper for new chicks in brooder?

Lahti35

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2015
Mid Michigan
The chicks will be here in a few days. I've read about putting newspaper down so they don't mistake pine shavings as food.... but do you put down pine shavings and then newspaper on top for a few days or do you just put in newspaper and then switch to pine shavings after a few days?

Forget the newspaper. It's too slick for new little pins to get a proper purchase. Use paper towels over wood shavings until you see they know exactly what and where their food is.

Newspaper is too slick and can cause leg problems in baby chicks. Use paper towels instead. I buy a cheap roll with each new batch of chicks, change it out 2 or 3 times a day when it gets too dirty and when the roll is gone, they're ready for shavings since they know what food is by then.

Newspaper is too slick and can cause leg problems in baby chicks. Use paper towels instead. I buy a cheap roll with each new batch of chicks, change it out 2 or 3 times a day when it gets too dirty and when the roll is gone, they're ready for shavings since they know what food is by then.

Awesome, thanks!

I put down newspaper, then on top of that I put tacky shelf liner, cut to size. When it got dirty, I rolled the whole thing up, shook out the newspaper & poop into the trash. I washed the shelf liners & they can be reused. Just dry them in the sun. I have them for next time I have chicks.

I put paper towels down over sand for about a day and a half. I was feeling confident they knew where and what the food was so i removed the paper towels. So now they are directly on sand. Cleaning is easy with a reptile sand sifter. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom