Newspaper writer//Rooster story

A lot of us keep our roos illegally. That is, our city does not allow roos so we try to stay under the radar and hope our neighbors don't report us. I buy my neighbors off with the promise of occassional eggs for them.
wink.png

I live out in the country, so if one of my 12 "pullets" turns out to be a roo, I think I'll end up keeping him. However, many chicken owners live in town and there are usually strict laws about roos in the city. My best advice, if you are unable to send them to freezer camp, is to advertise on craigslist. And you'll probably have to give them away, but if you can find a nice home for them who really cares?

I have a problem right now with 75% of my hatches producing little roos.
Hopefully I will be able to get some pullets out of any eggs I hatch, but I'm working towards having some nice quality birds, so no reason for the extra roos. Why are they so cuddly though??
I intend to do several hatches and when I get the stock I feel I need I will hopefully finds so experts to tell me what to cull.
There are a lot of farms in my area and lots of free ranging and pasture chickens, so I'm hoping to be able to find my extras some homes this way.
Any quality birds I have a market for here, so I will be able to sell any of them and maybe even a few pairs or trios. Got to be able to feed all the others, so might as well revamp from what I can't keep.
I would not be above making dinner out of a mean roo, but personally have never done it and not real sure I could. My husband says he can do the culling, but up to me to dress out. Yeah I don't think I could handle that part. I'll cook it though.
If I could not sell any of my birds I would have to gift them to someone who would take very good care of them.

Guys, i'm loving this discussion. Keep it coming. I may email a few of you individually in the coming days, if that's alright, to see if we can chat further over the phone.
Thanks again. I'm wild about this forum!
Best--Anne Marie.

Not being into breeding chickens for show or sale, we know that we will be getting mixed barnyard roosters when we hatch, we raise them on good quality feed and plan on sending them to freezer camp unless we need a replacement for the flock roosters. We give them attention and as best a life as we can, much better than if they were in a commercial operation. Butchering and processing are never enjoyable, but necessary for the way that we raise our chickens for personal use, but some of them always become favorites and some days there are lots of tears. However, the taste of home raised slow grow chicken is unbeatable, nothing like store bought chicken.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom