Newtown, Conn School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I continue to read some of these postings and my main overriding feeling, is disgust. My son, daughter-in-law and my two young grandchildren (5 and 3) live in Newtown, CT. My little grand daughter goes to the elementary school and two of the dead children were at her last birthday party and one of the dead children's family is a member at their temple. Thankfully, my grand daughter is safe, but I ask you...how do you explain this to a five year old? There is talk about media blame but just before this shooting one of you posters proudly put up a picture of a semi automatic weapon mounted on a truck. This is a similar weapon that was used to kill these children. Maybe the shooter saw other pictures like that and said..."Wow, that is neat." I said it was obscene and I was criticized for my statements. I asked, What was the possible motive for posting that type of picture? and received no response. I complained about the NRA in that it was not doing what it was originally organized to do. I say again to the NRA and it's supporters, "We do not need another political party whose only function is to encourage people to post obscene pictures. And, Ed, I know that you mean well, but do you really want little children attending schools that have become armed camps? I do not think that is the answer and I do not think that a knee jerk "gun control" action is the answer either. But I do think it is time we begin to use some common sense in understanding that some kinds of reasonable and responsible gun use and control is not a violation of our second amendment rights.

What I find even more disgusting is people like Huckabee that, notwithstanding his efforts to backtrack on his statements, said that he was not surprised by this act of violence in our schools because we took God out of our schools, etc. That is the real obscenity and my feeling is that if there is a God then Huckabee should die a violent death and those innocent children will remain unharmed. I would remind him that the promise of heaven is not worth the price of even one of those tortured child's tears. His statements are one of the best argument for atheism that I have ever heard. Just to look at him know would make me puke, but he wants to run again for president of this country.

But that hacker group "Anonymous "..hacked the church member info list and posted all the church member names and addresses..
Things are getting ugly...
But I do hope that member address list goes around ...just sayin'..
Starting to like Anonymous...
caf.gif

They need metal detectors , like they have at the airports installed at every. single. school.

I don't have TV and my computer has been down all day. (I seldom go anywhere online except BYC and to check my mail anyway) Emily just came home from work a little while ago and told me about the shooting then looked it up online so I could see what had happened.

I'm sick. I just want to cry. I hurt so bad for the Mommies and Daddies that sent thier child to school this morning. A kiss, a hug, an "I'll see you this evening honey".... and now they will never see them again. The brothers and sisters, the grandparents, the best friends. The horror is so much worse when it's a child that loses thier life.

I have no words. I have no answers. But I will hold my children tight tonight and make an effort to let them know just how much I love them and how much they mean to me.

And yes, I'll pray.

More guns than people in the US now + the Burt Gummer mindset of a large part of the US + anyone being able to build a gun from pipe + the new 3D printing tech + 2 or 3 % of the population having a ammo manufacturing equipment in there homes +the longest unguarded borders an coastlines in the world = gun control not ever working in the US.

I agree with you jak2002003. Reducing access must help. I have never seen a handgun in my life except on television/films. I don't know anyone who has ever owned one. I wouldn't know where to get one if I wanted one. This tragedy makes the argument more eloquently than any of our words.

Actually, violent crime is falling on a nationwide level within the US, though there was a rise in 'simple assaults' in 2011. http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/29/justice/us-violent-crime/index.html Freakonomics has a rather good podcast on the subject.

Video games, movies, and monsters seem to be comforting, easy answers, but that is not an accurate picture of major forces behind crime, or of mass killings. As for the idea that violence has just sprung up suddenly, people seem to forget the tarrings, forced lobotomies, riots, and other violence found in "the good old days". There is cognative dissonance going on too that our culture is somehow both more violent and blood-crazed but also so soft and squishy that anything unpleasant crumples our younger generations into sobbing masses of overprotected snowflakey goodness. I would argue that we have a culture of willfull ignorance.

Last edited:
Jesus...this world is nuts.
Also heard those creeps the Westboro Baptist protestors are going to protest at the funeral.
But that hacker group "Anonymous "..hacked the church member info list and posted all the church member names and addresses..
Things are getting ugly...
But I do hope that member address list goes around ...just sayin'..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom