Next Door Neighbor's Dog, Please Help

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicks & Dip, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Chicks & Dip

Chicks & Dip Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2009
    Gunter, TX
    As of today, she has killed 78 chickens, and the owners still say it is our fault. [​IMG]

So apparently, it is our fault for wasting 390 dollars, and HOURS of crying, for her dog who she won't even buy anything strong enough to keep their do tied up to a huge cage they have but, DO NOT USE!!! My family, 3 kids aged 4, 6, and 12 (the owner, of them) and My mom and dad, are SICK of loosing money to them. [​IMG]

Even if he wasn't there, we still have plenty on our hands, such as rattlesnakes (killed my only show chicken), possums, raccoons, domestic cats, bobcats, and other dogs and cottonmouths. [​IMG]

We've tried going over there while my whole family was sobbing over the loss of Sterling, our family chicken, and threatening to shoot their dog (which we have tried) Yet, They have done nothing. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What can I do to get the point trough to keep their stupid dog off our land? PLEASE HELP [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    That sounds like a HORRID--SIMPLY HORRID--situation. I'm so very, very sorry for the misery you have been through and are still struggling with. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you haven't in past, I would take photos any time you can--of dog on your property or with "evidence" on him, of chickens that were killed, and of structures that were damaged. I'd think those should help if you contact authorities or go to court.

Sending a certified letter to them about the problem, with specific examples plus maybe photos if you can, would probably help back up your case, too. Plus receiving something in an "official" kind of way sometimes can help people pay attention, but I'm doubting it will for your particular neighbors if they are people who have allowed 78 killings without taking preventative action.

Is the dog friendly enough to be catchable? If so, there are a number of options...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    start by adjusting your scope and pick someone in your house with the steadiest hands.... how did you ever let him get away with over 70 chickens is beyond me.... unless my chickens happens to jump over the fence into the dog's yard, there's no excuse.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Although I have used SSS in the past, sometimes it's not necessary. I once caught a roving dog on my property and used permanent marker to draw a target on his sides and forehead------must of worked, never saw that dog again!

5. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Document everything, pic or video...catch the dog and call a animal control.

Or SSS and be done with it.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Since they are not phased about the dog getting shot I would just do that,and not mention YOU shot it.Why created a fued.Sure they will get another dog,but it might not be as aggresive toward chickens as this one....atleast not at first. Just keep shooting whatever tries to kill your chickens.

Another option is taking the dog to the pound.People really hate paying fines to get their dogs or cats out of the pound.Sometimes that $$$$ speaks.Yes,you can sued them for the worth of the chickens,but that seems less annoying to them compared to fines for their pets. I guess most think you will lose in court if you sue for replacement costs.

If I could shoot that would be my option.For us it is catch and call AC.You have been way to patient with the neighbor.I would have lost it after the second time.I do give one chance.

7. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Sorry for your loss!

It would be worthwhile to check into your county's/city's ordinances for nuisance dogs. Many have a 1-time forgiveness policy for trespass kills. However, the 2nd time can result in the nuisance animals being destroyed. If your neighbor knew this, he might be a good neighbor.

You'll need to check out the ordinances, document all kills, and call the authorities.

Good luck!

8. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

We lost over 30 chickens to the neighbors dog. After the 3rd time of paying 'bail' to get doggie out of jail, they started locking him up.
    It probably helped that the last time the Animal Cop showed up, he had a rifle in his hand...

Do not try to settle this between you and neighbor anymore. There are laws for a reason. Use them!!

Good luck!!

9. city kid farm

city kid farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I love this solution!!! What a hoot. I am going to hold onto that one for future use. Thanks!

10. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    Quote:I love this solution!!! What a hoot. I am going to hold onto that one for future use. Thanks!

i agree! beyond awesome idea!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by