NHR has been acting unwell. Brest bone sticking out, dark comb, walking slowly. Need advice!! Thx!!

Chicken Chiquita

Animal obsessed :)
Feb 11, 2020
Idaho
My New Hampshire Red, Sesame, has been acting weird lately, last week we went on a trip and she wasn't doing the greatest before, but when i got back it was much worse, her front breast bone is sticking way out, and you can't feel her crop, her wings kinda hang down when she roosts, and also when she roosts, her legs stick out to far to the sides, and recently she hasn't been going up to the roosting pole to sleep, she seems to be eating and drinking okay, but when i let them out she waders off a little, and she seems to have a hard time "running" and walks kinda slow. The back of her comb also seems to be turning a darker color. Any advice would be very appreciated!! Thanks!! Also, she is like 3 yrs old, and we have been getting these oddly shaped eggs, which may be coming from her. I will add pics. Thanks again everyone!!
IMG_0148[1].JPG
IMG_0145[1].JPG
IMG_0141[1].JPG

My New Hampshire Red, Sesame, has been acting weird lately, last week we went on a trip and she wasn't doing the greatest before, but when i got back it was much worse, her front breast bone is sticking way out, and you can't feel her crop, her wings kinda hang down when she roosts, and also when she roosts, her legs stick out to far to the sides, and recently she hasn't been going up to the roosting pole to sleep, she seems to be eating and drinking okay, but when i let them out she waders off a little, and she seems to have a hard time "running" and walks kinda slow. The back of her comb also seems to be turning a darker color. Any advice would be very appreciated!! Thanks!! Also, she is like 3 yrs old, and we have been getting these oddly shaped eggs, which may be coming from her. I will add pics. Thanks again everyone!!
View attachment 2279297View attachment 2279298View attachment 2279299
Have you been able to observe her poo? Is it runny, foamy, semi-solid?
Have you checked her skin for mites? Has she ever been wormed?
It appears to me that her comb is pale, but photos can be deceiving, does it look pale compared to the others?

Have you been able to observe her poo? Is it runny, foamy, semi-solid?
Have you checked her skin for mites? Has she ever been wormed?
It appears to me that her comb is pale, but photos can be deceiving, does it look pale compared to the others?
First Q: Not yet, i'll try though. I haven't noticed any unusual poos in the run, but i will check again.
Second Q: No...i did check her back end for worms, cause it was kinda dirty, and i checked the others for that too, but they all seem fine. I will check for mites.
Third Q: No, they haven't, and when we had chickens with worms twice, though we didn't catch the first one in time, we were able to treat the second one just fine.
Edit: Fourth Q: Most of her comb seems fine except the back where it appears to be darker and not as healthy, i've heard this is bc of not enough oxygen or its not circulating well, or bc of breathing issues??

Last edited:
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

I have read in the past , weight loss can be worms or cancer.
Odd-shaped eggs can mean a few things.
With being weak that could cause her to walk funny.
I would worm her and give her some poultry nutridrench, if it were me while you get it figured out.
Ok, i'm gonna clean the coop today or tomorrow, and i've heard putting a little apple cider vinegar in there water is a natural easy way to help, and i've done it before and it seemed to work.

her legs stick out to far to the sides, and recently she hasn't been going up to the roosting pole to sleep, she seems to be eating and drinking okay, but when i let them out she waders off a little, and she seems to have a hard time "running" and walks kinda slow. The back of her comb also seems to be turning a darker color. Any advice would be very appreciated!! Thanks!! Also, she is like 3 yrs old, and we have been getting these oddly shaped eggs, which may be coming from her.
What do the oddly shaped egg look like?

The symptoms you describe sounds like she is having some reproductive issues. Peritonitis, Cancer, Internal Laying, Salpingitis, etc. can be common in laying hens. Unfortunately, there is not any real treatment except to keep her comfortable.
Check for lice/mites, get a fecal float to see if she has worms, make sure her crop is empty in the morning.
If she's eating/drinking o.k. and moving around, then I would just monitor her everyday to see if she's holding her own or beginning to decline further.

What do the oddly shaped egg look like?

The symptoms you describe sounds like she is having some reproductive issues. Peritonitis, Cancer, Internal Laying, Salpingitis, etc. can be common in laying hens. Unfortunately, there is not any real treatment except to keep her comfortable.
Check for lice/mites, get a fecal float to see if she has worms, make sure her crop is empty in the morning.
If she's eating/drinking o.k. and moving around, then I would just monitor her everyday to see if she's holding her own or beginning to decline further.
Ok, thanks, i will!! I have cleaned out her coop, and put in a powder, which will hopefully keep out mites. She isn't getting worse which is good, but she also hasn't been getting better. The big/oddly shaped eggs have stopped, but the other day we got a tiny egg, like, the size of a pigeons. I'll post if she gets worse. Thx for all the help you guys!!

Back
Top Bottom