Niacin and Poop

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CandQ, Apr 16, 2013.

1. CandQ

CandQ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Hello! Two questions - I'm giving my boys Niacin through a powdered mixed in with their food. I'd been doing it in their water but I change that water so often I decided to try it in their food, as the packaging also suggests. I'm just wondering if anyone has done it this way, or if anyone has a preference for either way?

Also, at about two weeks old my boys went from not even acknowledging poop to now eating it, playing with it, flinging it, everything. Is this normal?! I'm grossed out but as long as I have nothing to worry about I'll accept the fact that I have two boys who just also happen to be ducks :)

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome to the Duck Forum!

As long as they're getting the niacin, food or water, that should work. And regarding poop-flinging, my runner girls were pretty good at it, too! [​IMG]

3. Kaybug137

Kaybug137 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    My ducklings when they go swimming eat their poop so gross and they manage to poop on the walls of their brooder. Which I need to get more hay and clean again any ideas on how the heck I can keep everything dry. I'm having to clean the box every day between the poop and their bed being wet

4. christiethorn1

christiethorn1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Where do you get the niacin?? I have had my ducks for 3-4 weeks, giving them duck/chick started, no extra niacin, and have had no problems. what should I do??

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Most duck starter has the amount ducklings need but there can always be the one thast may need more, I'd have niacin or brewers yeast on hand in case you begin to noticed one having difficulty but I don't think I'd give them any other wise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by