Niacin or deformity

Heathermc12

Hatching
Jun 7, 2023
Hey I am new to this forum and wanted to explain what’s going on. I was given a duck by a friend who assumed she was “deformed” for a good while before contacting her dogs vet and seeing by text only it was likely niacin deficiency. The legs are pretty bowed it’s both legs. Since I’ve had her, I’ve been giving her 100 mg of plain Niacin in a regular bowl of water due to it looking bad and it being a while without treatment. It’s been about 2 weeks and I’ve gotten no luck. I want to try Duvet B Complex to see if that would help but I’m confused with the dosing because it says 1 ml per 100 pounds? What’s a good dose for a 4ish pound duck?

I’d like to add that I am beginning to think it’s just how she was born due to the fact one wing is longer than the other she seems a little different. I will add also that she does try her hardest to stand and walk. She does not refuse to move she tries her best. I am no where near a vet but planning to make a trip but I don’t want to waste any more time with her treatment if I can. ANY suggestions y’all have is appreciated. I’ve been tirelessly scrounging google and doing my absolute best over here. I give her high protein food, feed her salads with fruit and peas everyday, and let her swim for exercise which she loves.

Looking into brewers yeast as well, what’s the best brand???? I DO have other ducks but this is my first time dealing with something like this and I’m really beating myself up over this

Attachments

• 3F01323F-8DC5-42E4-B173-77C618CD3C62.jpeg
    3F01323F-8DC5-42E4-B173-77C618CD3C62.jpeg
    602 KB · Views: 392
Hey I am new to this forum and wanted to explain what’s going on. I was given a duck by a friend who assumed she was “deformed” for a good while before contacting her dogs vet and seeing by text only it was likely niacin deficiency. The legs are pretty bowed it’s both legs. Since I’ve had her, I’ve been giving her 100 mg of plain Niacin in a regular bowl of water due to it looking bad and it being a while without treatment. It’s been about 2 weeks and I’ve gotten no luck. I want to try Duvet B Complex to see if that would help but I’m confused with the dosing because it says 1 ml per 100 pounds? What’s a good dose for a 4ish pound duck?

I’d like to add that I am beginning to think it’s just how she was born due to the fact one wing is longer than the other she seems a little different. I will add also that she does try her hardest to stand and walk. She does not refuse to move she tries her best. I am no where near a vet but planning to make a trip but I don’t want to waste any more time with her treatment if I can. ANY suggestions y’all have is appreciated. I’ve been tirelessly scrounging google and doing my absolute best over here. I give her high protein food, feed her salads with fruit and peas everyday, and let her swim for exercise which she loves.

Looking into brewers yeast as well, what’s the best brand???? I DO have other ducks but this is my first time dealing with something like this and I’m really beating myself up over this
First off welcome to BYC
With the durvet vitamin B complex it’s 1ml orally over a small treat or directly by syringe if you feel comfortable doing it
Never in the water as this dilutes it’s and won’t give you results
Because she has leg issues I would also get nutritional yeast and add 1tbs per 1cup feed
This could take at least 2 weeks to see any improvements so don’t give up
Once she seems recovered continue one more week on the B complex and I would still continue with nutritional yeast in her feed daily just not as much but she will most likely always need more niacin then other ducks

Yes get the Durvet liquid B Complex it has helped so many ducks with niacin deficiency.
The dose is 1 ml over a tasty treat small amount so your sure she gets the whole dose. you can add some to her water but it will be diluted so you want to make sure she get the full 1 ml. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
:welcome
So even though the bottle is the high level - and it says 1ML per 100 pounds, 1ML would still be okay for my duck?

Back
Top Bottom