nice rooster

shotgunfairy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
apex. north carolina
I love my rooster. He is a broody hen hatched too, mama hen had her first batch at 8 months old in the middle of winter!! Anyways back to the rooster, Bubba. At 3 months he realized he was a rooster an not a hen (he is the only rooster) he started trying to mate with adult hens and crowing. He is very protective of his girls. Already lost his tail feathers twice when a neighbors dog got in our fence. He has never tried to attack me but I just know its bound to happen. He comes right up to me and eats out of my hand. If i don't have food he wants no part of me. My question is when he tries to kick me, what do I do? I dont want him to be chicken n dumplings, he is so good tothe hens, he even feeds my broody hens chicks right out of his mouth. Any advice?

How could you only now realize it's a rooster? You should know at least at 3-5 weeks. Can you post a pic?

Ive know he is a rooster. He was crowing at 3 months. I can tell at 1month rooster or hen by the thickness of their legs. Lol yeah I can get a pic let me go hunt him down.

I used to use a plastic snow shovel as a shield when my roo attached to protect myself. Eventually our "nice" roo turned evil as they will and even the shovel wasn't enough anymore. Don't turn your back on him, he will get you when you least expect. Oh and he'll end up ripping up your hens backs from repeated mating attempts. He nice now but just wait until he turns into a "man" chicken.

I had a rooster, George (my avatar). He was a buff orpington, supposedly one of the gentlest breeds, and meaner than snot. I had hand raised him from two days old (one of my former students hatched him as a science fair project). He would eat from my hand. I could carry him around... As he got older, though, I had to carry a rake with me if he was out in the yard or if I was going in their run. He would attack in a heart beat and was relentless. I loved that rooster!!! If you were going to be out with him, you always had to be prepared. He was not opposed to sneak attacks from behind. The only way to stop him was to fling him away with the rake. If he was being particularly feisty, you'd have to pin him under the rake for a moment.

Most people won't go through all that, and even I knew he should be in a pot of dumplings. He was a gorgeous rooster, though. Not to mention how funny it was when my husband would forget to carry the rake
gig.gif
. It's really a matter of what you are willing to put up with, I guess. If we had the rake, George, would usually mind his business. Then again if you continue to handle him, he may never go after you.

Back
Top Bottom