Nicest Rooster EVER!!!!

khatar

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
San Diego, CA
My accidental rooster, Twinkle, is the tamest rooster I've ever seen/heard about. People are always talking about their nasty rooster and why they only want hens. Well, it's not the roo that's the problem, it's my hen Evy. She is a 9 pound buff orpington with an attitude. She used to always try to dominate me in the pecking order. Jumping and scratching my legs, pecking, jumping on my back and attempting to overpower me...
ep.gif
She even managed to sneak up on me while I wasn't looking and put a long red scar on my face (and boy was I MAD). But that's a whole other story.

Twinkle is so calm, he doesn't mind me getting near him, never seems threatened. One day I had to take him for a car ride and he fell asleep in my lap! None of my hens would have EVER done that! He sits on back and my shoulder willingly, (seriously, he will jump on my shoulder, even if I don't want him to!) and he is never mean to any hens. I know this is common with roosters but even new coming hens he will welcome. I just thought this is a rare personality in roosters and thought I was lucky to accidentally acquire him. Now I never said most roos were mean, I said most aren't as nice and calm.

But don't get me wrong, he's still as outrageous in behavior as any other roo. Especially when it comes to breeding...

ah...sounds like a lovely fellow...
I think it is in part charactor and part breed...
I know my roosters...have been very sweet...
though...was very surprised he gave me a slight peck after winter renovations...
not quite the thanks I was after...but think it was more about a teritory statement...
But I agree...the hens can have something to say...
but mine have very much cooled there charactor after egg laying...
I have been maying a point of treeting a rooster to come in one at a time...
they make absolutely lovely snuggle tv companions...
frow.gif

I have a great rooster too...Silkie of course. I have young kids so I had to get something that was docile, and I made the best choice. I had Rhode Island Red roosters and they literally would run across my yard (5 acres) to attack my kids. They even tried me a couple times...but I put an end to that
wink.png

khatar, I wonder if your rooster is so nice because Evy is so mean? Maybe he is dominated by her to the point that he doesn't have the courage to try to show you who is boss? If so, you may have found the answer to the problem roo issue! Just get a lady who is bossier than he is! There is that expression "Henpecked"....
smile.png

My rooster is part Silver Ameraucana and part Frizzle cochin bantam. He is no frizzle though. It's just amazing he's half bantam when he's so big! The only chicken that's bigger is my Buff Orp hen.

Quote:
You have a point, but the problem is that Evy is only mean to me. In fact, she's second lowest 3rd lowest in the pecking order out of the flock of 7. Twinkle passed her a while ago.

I think Evy's problem is that she wants to be dominant, but she is too cowardly to take on the other chickens. She sees that if she takes me down, she'll be dominant because she defeated the boss.
I know it doesn't make sense, but if you watch her, you'll see how afraid she is of a hen a quarter her size.
lau.gif
gig.gif

We had a roo like that... We raised him from a day or two old and he imprinted on me. When he grew up he would lead the hens inside our house (despite our efforts to stop them). He would, like yours, fly up on peoples shoulders and sit there watching you. If I was sitting somewhere, he would sit next to me. When a house was being built two houses down, he would lead the hens down the road and they would beg food off the workers at lunchtime. Greatest pet ever.

the roosters we had were pretty sweet as well, they would get onto your hand and snuggle in your hair.

Back
Top Bottom