Nifty Chicken...Posting pictures question

Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
East Texas
I remember "way back" it was mentioned about being able to post pictures from your own PC.
I know how to post pics from a photo host such as photo bucket, but I was wondering if I will ever be able to post from my PC.
The reason I am asking is because I am a dinosaur, and still have dial-up. It takes forever to load pics into a photo host program. I can only load 1 at a time & it takes at least 20 minutes per pic. It would be so fast to copy & paste from my own files.

I know that some other sites have this feature, and as far as I know, it is safe. I remember Nifty Chicken saying it was safe also.

Is there a way to have an option to post from my files or from a photo host for those who don't want to use their files?

Jean

Jean, you brought up a few items and I'll do my best to explain:

1) Slow connection: No matter if you are loading pics to photobucket, another image hosting site, or here you will have to wait a long time to upload large files. It sounds like you are uploading images in their full size (probably 3 mb each?). I suggest you use a program like irfanview (free) to resize your pictures and then upload them.

2) When you say "post pictures from your own PC" I'm not sure what you mean. I'm guessing you mean to upload them from your PC to the BYC forum / website? Again, loading them here won't speed up the upload time, but it would eliminate an extra step, which leads to item 3:

3) Image hosting on BYC: This is something I've wanted to do for a long time for 2 reasons:
1: It guarantees that images won't be lost. I've been to too many forums where images are only the little red x because the host is no longer in existence. If the images for the forum were hosted here then they would be here for as long as we needed them.
2: We could also auto resize and limit the sizes of images uploaded to the forum. We often get notes from members on dialup that it is frustrating to load a forum thread with a ton of HUGE pictures (2 - 4 mb each).

We decided not to offer this service right now because:
1) It would add more expenses to hosting and maintaining the forum (imagine thousands of members uploading and viewing tens, possibly hundreds of images). We tossed around the idea of a "Supported" or paid member status where people could donate some funds and have extra privileges, but decided against it.
2) Many of the other image hosting services out there are actually quite good and reliable. It would be hard for us to develop a system here that is better than what they provide.

We haven't totally written off the idea, but it just isn't a priority right now.

If you or any other member have thoughts or questions on this please let us know.

Thanks for answering me Rob.

I guess I will have to check out irfanview & see if it works better for me.
I am loading pictures into photobucket full size. Then I resize them afterwards.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom