'Night Box' Rooster - Stop Crowing

Well, it also depends on what the noise and nuisance laws/rules are, and also, just being a decent neighbor... Owning a car or motorcycle is also legal, but that doesn't mean you should be revving it under somebody's window at 4:30am... Perspective. I can understand both sides of the story. And, since with a rooster you have so much less control than with a car or motorcycle, that's why roosters get banned in the first place. In my town, roosters are legal, but with the understanding that you shouldn't be bothering your neighbors. Some neighbors don't mind it, others do. If a neighbor complains and you can't find a mutually satisfying solution, you are obliged to get rid of the rooster.

So, in other words, we're looking for constructive advice here, other than "get rid of the rooster" or "deal with it".......

Well, it also depends on what the noise and nuisance laws/rules are, and also, just being a decent neighbor... Owning a car or motorcycle is also legal, but that doesn't mean you should be revving it under somebody's window at 4:30am... Perspective. I can understand both sides of the story. And, since with a rooster you have so much less control than with a car or motorcycle, that's why roosters get banned in the first place. In my town, roosters are legal, but with the understanding that you shouldn't be bothering your neighbors. Some neighbors don't mind it, others do. If a neighbor complains and you can't find a mutually satisfying solution, you are obliged to get rid of the rooster.

So, in other words, we're looking for constructive advice here, other than "get rid of the rooster" or "deal with it".......
Sure. BUT when push comes to shove the neighbor doesn't have a leg to stand on since OP is allowed to own a rooster. And that is it, done deal! Finito! Fat lady has sung!!

Sure. BUT when push comes to shove the neighbor doesn't have a leg to stand on since OP is allowed to own a rooster. And that is it, done deal! Finito! Fat lady has sung!!
I'm in a rural setting and allowed roosters. Animals control made it clear to me that even though I AM allowed roosters as many as I want... It's all good until the neighbors have an issue and then I also have an issue. So if push comes to shove the fat lady ain't singing the song I want to hear and the law side with my neighbors. :old

While I agree that some folks dogs are a bigger problem... I DON'T believe in pointing the finger elsewhere to take the attention off of myself... I'm an adult, not an overgrown child. :confused:

Chickens can see UV and thus the sun several hours before it rises. But they also respond to noises, lights passing by, predator threats or perceived threats.

The van is good idea if you can keep it ventilated well enough and the family don't mind. I would put some sort of roost inside the kennel to make him more comfortable... BEAUTIFUL boy btw! :love

And especially having good neighbors and being a good neighbor is key, OP... good for you for trying to be the good neighbor they knew you were when they politely approached instead of waiting until they were exhausted and angry! :highfive:

Planting more bushes between the chicken housing and theirs might help muffle the sound.

Glad your boy was okay after that incident! Keep trying, a good neighbor is worth their weight in gold. :fl

I've been thinking about this, too, and since I'm in the process of building a new coop, I was wondering if it's worth it to build the coop with very small windows or even no windows at all, just top vents for ventilation, in an effort to keep it darker longer and delay the crowing... get the chickens to sleep in a little... Has anybody tried this?
That's a dangerous line to straddle(skimping on ventilation).....and often cocks crow in the dark.
Many have tried, but I can't recall much success...except recently someone put their cockbird in a crate in a camper at night and that muffled the sound.

I refuse to be out-yelled or shushed. People need to consider their context,
You'll find that some are oblivious to context ;) even when it's pointed out over and over and over.

Muffling and redirecting the sound is all you can hope for. Aim your coop windows away from your house and neighboring houses. Sound wave absorption material will help, but not get rid of it. Realistically, knocking the crow down 10-20 decibels is all you can hope for. You can't isolate sound without isolating the roo from the outside world. That's why the closet and van work so well. In our heat, the roo would roast to death in a van, or anything like that. You can make a sound isolation booth with tube muffled fans for ventilation. Basically, an isolation pod, something that should only be used during sleep time, and located in a controlled climate. Just google "sound isolation booth".

@shamo, you can be as deep in the country as you want, even if there isn't a noise ordinance, it won't prevent pissed off neighbors. My uncle lives next to a lot of Amish, one of them put 2,000 roosters in a barn across the road from him. Even the Amish guy's brother wasn't happy, because they live next to my uncle and have their windows open all the time. My uncle talked to the Amish elders, they wouldn't do squat. He had county out there several times, and the Amish guy told them my uncle threatened him. He didn't. He just said if you don't get rid of those roosters, you will be sorry. Even with it being zoned for farming, one guy can get back at the other. My uncle built a 30 foot tower and put speakers on top. He just needed a good amp, and he was fixing to blast the roosters and the neighbors every night with music and predator sounds. He told county, if the guy can have 2,000 roosters across the road, I can blast my speakers clear to kingdom come, you'll be out here every night from now on. Well, my uncle didn't even get finished with his set up before the guy got rid of the roosters, and never got any more. My uncle made it clear that it was going to be war, and the Amish dude decided better of it.

@Ghosty has the advise I was about to post. Redirecting the noise away from the neighbors may help. It worked for me and my Avatar “Scruffy”. He went from my chicken tractor to the tool shed when he was crowing beginning at 4:30am. (Hormones). I don’t have to worry about neighbors, he was bothering ME. Now if he crows before I wake up, i don’t know, because I can’t hear him when he’s on the roost.

If your still on good terms with your neighbors, explain to them that you are about to do MAJOR CONSTRUCTION :cool: on your coop to lower the noise level. Mainly, explain to them what your doing to help the situation and that you understand that he may be to loud. That may help the relationship with the neighbors.
Who knows, they may come to love the faint distant crow of a rooster in the morning like I do. :D

Back
Top Bottom