Night temps in the 50s, too cold for 8 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Aug 24, 2011.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I'm debating on whether I should turn off the heat lamp at night. Our chicks will be 8 weeks old next Monday. The heat lamp is up at ceiling height. Temps at night are in the 50s. Can I turn off the heat lamp?

2. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as they are not in a draft.

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    My WLs are going to be 6 weeks old on Saturday. They've been in the coop since 4 weeks old. Lately it's been dropping at night to upper 50s & lower 60s. So I've been closing their windows before I go to bed and there's no heat lamp in there. They still huddle on the floor - I gave up trying to make them roost. But they seem to be fine. I usually find them up on the roost in the a.m. sitting in in their manure box - which I recently changed to sand rather than pine shavings. It's probably warmest up there. I read somewhere that most chickens are feathered enough by week 6 to withstand the lower temps.

[​IMG]

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Remember that its warm during the day and heats up my girls sleeper and they seem to dig a deep bed in the wood shavings and all huddle up together anyway. It just is not cold enough a 50* I think. What did they do in much older times without electrical access or heat lamps. I tend to agree with the upper post no wind, breeze or drafts is important.

Steve

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by