Nine day old chicks eating paper bedding....is it okay?

I would get them grit asap. Paper like that can clog up their intestines and kill them fast. I would also look into different bedding. Maybe just newspapers or towels.

I always start on paper towels or puppy pads and then after the first three days or so graduate up to normal bedding.

Paper bedding is much safer than shavings, if they are going to eat anything, which they will, because they are chickens. I also offered chick grit on the side of their food, (because I give my baby chicks scrambled eggs), and I had zero problems. I have nine chicks who are almost six weeks now, and I brooded them on paper bedding and it's been great. But if you notice they are eating it, obviously there's no nutrition there, and offering grit can't hurt.

This is a great video comparing different types of brooder bedding:

https://thefrugalchicken.com/is-chick-grit-necessary/

Bedding should be non slip, something with traction to prevent splay.
I start with potty pads at least the first week to keep a close eye on their poop. Towels are good but alot of changing & washing, some use the non skid mats that are used for lining shelves. Shavings is fine but they do kick alot up into the water, alot of changing, I've read many like the bedding pellets. You need to use what's best of you .... I've done papertowels but potty pads are the best cause is absorbs alot & they do get water all over.
Chick grit is good since they'll peck & attempt to eat everything.

I can't find any large flake pine shavings anymore. Bundle marked Large Flake but very few ones. Most broke down to shreds and dust. Have tried 3 different brands. My peachicks eat the small flakes and die. Maybe pine shaving being shipped from China now. Ugh!

I can't find any large flake pine shavings anymore. Bundle marked Large Flake but very few ones. Most broke down to shreds and dust. Have tried 3 different brands. My peachicks eat the small flakes and die. Maybe pine shaving being shipped from China now. Ugh!
Have you tried straw instead?

Definitely get chick grit as soon as you can. They will need it once they are introduced to other foods and snacks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom