Nipple vs. cup waterers and auto fill

I like the feeder to how about some pictures and parts list.
thumbsup.gif

I have a major headache after spending hours researching watering systems for my new family of 10 Faverolle hens. They are now 5 weeks old and I have to solve the watering problem - they make a mess of the waterer I have. I want to use a 5 gallon bucket which I will put on a platform in the corner of the coop (pretty high up) - I would then use pvc pipe to attach either nipples or cups - I cannot figure out which would work best! Also - is there a way I can attach the bucket to the water outlet so I can automatically fill the bucket by just turning on the water valve? I don't want to have to continually hand fill the bucket. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Also - I'm wondering if this might not be a good system for my 2 mini pigs???? Talk about a mess with a waterer!

Thanks in advance,

Sharon Kinsey
www.followyourdreamfarm.net
How about this!

It's an L shape pvc connector. I cut groves on the end that is in the container. Very clean, never any spills, saves a ton on wasted feed. They can't get their feet in so they cant scratch the feed. They just stick their heads in and peck at the feed.

It's an L shape pvc connector. I cut groves on the end that is in the container. Very clean, never any spills, saves a ton on wasted feed. They can't get their feet in so they cant scratch the feed. They just stick their heads in and peck at the feed.
I don't quite understand. what are the grooves for? And exactly were are they cut? Horizontal? Vertical?

Hey all,
instead of using plastic for the waterer, we ordered a stainless pail and lid because we wanted something:
1.easily cleanable
2.longest lasting
3.wouldn't leach anything into the water.

The pail hangs in the run. We used the nipples and had to add washers to the installation to prevent leakage. The instructions that came with the nipples say specifically to install the nipples into plastic, and this is because if you try to put them into metal, they do leak around the nipple if extra washers are not added. We put 3 into the bottom of the pail and they work great. The hens took to them very quickly. The only thing that is concerning is that if there is even the slightest opportunity for the hens to drink from anywhere else(down spout, puddled rain water, dripping hose, etc....) they drink it up like they're dying of thirst.
However, I have personally witnessed one of them chugging water out of a mud puddle, then going into the run and drinking more out of the waterer.....so, I have no idea what to think.

http://www.thekitchn.com/good-product-stainless-steel-c-94406

Hey all,
instead of using plastic for the waterer, we ordered a stainless pail and lid because we wanted something:
1.easily cleanable
2.longest lasting
3.wouldn't leach anything into the water.

The pail hangs in the run. We used the nipples and had to add washers to the installation to prevent leakage. The instructions that came with the nipples say specifically to install the nipples into plastic, and this is because if you try to put them into metal, they do leak around the nipple if extra washers are not added. We put 3 into the bottom of the pail and they work great. The hens took to them very quickly. The only thing that is concerning is that if there is even the slightest opportunity for the hens to drink from anywhere else(down spout, puddled rain water, dripping hose, etc....) they drink it up like they're dying of thirst.
However, I have personally witnessed one of them chugging water out of a mud puddle, then going into the run and drinking more out of the waterer.....so, I have no idea what to think.

http://www.thekitchn.com/good-product-stainless-steel-c-94406
I hate to answer a question with a question but DOES ANY ONE know what they are thinking! LOL
They have the same reaction to treats the act like they have not eaten in days!
Your idea of using stanless steel pail is great it should last a lifetime.

Last edited:
I'm sure you're right
smile.png

Something else I like about the "pail" waterer, vs. a pipe waterer is that I can get down in there and really clean around the nipples from the inside. There hasn't been a problem with algae or anything, and I don't put anything in the water(ACV), but since my hens have been pretty sick, I imagine that bacteria or germs can get up on the nipples and who knows, maybe can get inside the waterer, so I've been cleaning it out daily just to make sure all is well. Since they share the nipples, I want to minimize the sharing of germs. However, I'm sure there are many ways they already share germs :) ie. mudpuddles, downspouts.....

Here's a link to a little video of our stainless steel feeder and waterer:

I put hook in the run lid/ceiling to hang them from, or they can also hang from a metal cross bar which is completely movable so if we need it at one end, it just slides over.

Hi, I am new to BYC...and have no experience with chickens yet...I am learning a ton here. I have a silly question. Could chickens drink from large water bottles used for rabbits?

Back
Top Bottom