Nipple water systems.........

dude+chick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Waggaman, La.
I just finished my automatic watering system and have had a few problems. Wondering if anyone else has experienced the same. I set up an automatic waterer with and old waterer for my horses. I have 20' of 1-1/2" PVC pipe in a basic ell shaped. I got the push in 360 degree stainless nipples from QC supply -- 20 of them. After drilling the holes 11/32 as specified and put in the rubber gromets, I had to push in the nipples ( which was a feat). They were extremely hard to push into the gromet hole. Then after I set everything up all but 3 nipples leaked like ALOT. Now I have to pull them alll out and order the screw in type nipples. Has anyone had problems with the push in nipples? Has any used the screw in type and are they any good? I thought I was getting off pretty good since i spent about $80 on the whole system, but now I'll have to order replacement nipples. But I do love my chickens. I've 50 -- buff minorcas, ameraucanas, anconas, NHR, RIR, white leghorns, star, black sex link and plymouth rock. ---- So if anyone is thinking of the push in nipples be cautious. I wonder if I messed up on the insertion, but I can't see how.

Thanks for all the helpful hints. I ordered more nipples already (the threaded type), will let you all know how things turn out.

Last edited:
I have not personally used the push in type but I understand that they are to be used in thinner plastic, like gallon milk jugs. If you are using plastic pipe you might want to go to the threaded type. I used them in 5 gal. buckets and they sealed just fine. Also, if you order more check with Neil Grassbaugh on this sight. The prices for nipples and shiping are tough to beat. Good luck.

I understand that it's tricky to use push in nipples for pvc on its side due to the curvature of the pipe and not being able to make flush contact seal. I've seen examples of it being done successfully but you'll need to be careful in drilling it straight and not make too wide of a hole. Using a larger diameter pipe may work better.

I use 1/2" pvc with push in nipples, but I don't insert into the side. I have a vertical arrangement for single nipple that's inserted into a 1/2" cap that I drilled a 11/32" hole through. The PVC is really thick there as well, but using a 1/4" metal fender washer to fit around the tip of the nipple which creates a bigger surface area to push down on really helps. I had to put much of my weight on it, after lubing with water to get it in but the seal is tight. The washer is only used to help push the nipple in.

I had some trouble till I talked with Neil Grassbaugh--he has the best shipped prices and customer service I've found and has posted some good tips on BYC. Maybe he will see this thread and pipe up. (Wow, no puns intended but...) Neil's e-mail link is on his BYC page.

I first tried threaded nipples in buckets and they leaked even with teflon tape. Neil recommended push-in ones, which I have now used on 1" PVC pipe. I too had trouble getting the orange unit into the grommet, but had success after lubricating the orange part and a little pressure help from a socket driver that pushed just on the plastic, not on the movable metal nipple.

If they are leaking, check to see that the orange pieces are seated all the way into the grommets. They can kind of look set before they are all the way in.

Last edited:
They also make square pvc tubing for watering systems. The nipples should seal better when inserted into those. They also make couplers that allow you to attach these square tubes to the round ones.

Dan

why don't you just get some JB weld and glue around them so they won't leak. Mine weren't push in, but I glued them just in case they leaked.

I got the screw-in nipples yesterday and replaced all the push-in with the screw-in. I then used silicone caulk around them to make sure there would be no leaks. The system works great now. I have a cat feed bucket with a float valve from one of my old horse waterers. Then 1-1/2" PVC pipe coming out and down from the bucket then a 10' section of PVC with a 90 elbow to another 10' section of PVC. Basically making an L shape with 18 screw-in 360 degree nipples. It took about 1 min. for my flock to figure out (Hey there's water here). They picked at the caulking of course, but eventually stopped. I'm just thrilled that I won't be cleaning waterers anymore. I also made a feeder from a 4' section of 10" PVC and it works great - holds 50# of feed which will last 4 days. Now I have more time to just enjoy my flock and perhaps more time with my horse will ease her jealousy. Life is Good!

I used the push in type and found a couple of "musts" when putting them in. First, I pop both the grommet and water nipple in my mouth for a some quick natural lube. Then I partially push in the grommet, then start pushing in the nipple. This seats the grommet as the nipple slips into position and gives a good seal. One of mine did develop a leak last week, but it was due to a burr on the inside of the hole that I did not see.

Back
Top Bottom