1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nipple waterer for quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ThaJuicyJuice, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Anyone use this? I have a set up already with holes drilled in pvc. Works great, but was going to order some nipples for the chickens and wondered if I should try with the quail, too. What do you think?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    It Will Work, But Here In This Tropical Heat And Humidity You'll Find They Drip Continuously... Which Makes Wet Spots, Which In Turn Becomes Mini Quicksand Pits With A Foul Odor That 1 Cannot Describe In Words... But They Do Work, And Quail Will Drink From Anything.

3. Hoppelchen

Hoppelchen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Quote:I use rabbit watering bottles for quail, and also a an automatic system for rabbits and have parked itinerant quail in a rabbit cage with rabbit nipples and they worked it out in no time how to use the nipples.

But, quails, like rabbits are also fond of playing with the waterers... ;-D

JJ mentions that water dripping makes the quail-do reek -- yep, and so, what I do is I take one of the big tins from my homebrew beerkits, put a pierced beer can upside down (so no-one can drown) and tie that to the wall underneath the nipple to catch the drips. Since I make a new beer every 2 weeks I have a good supply of those tins, and so I just chuck them when they get whiffy(they will even if you rinse them every day), but you could clean it up with bleach.

This also breaks up the 'playgroup' and stops birds from monopolising the drinker by crowding underneath it and stopping others from accessing it.

If you use nipples, they will always leak a little bit, so in my rabbit cages I hang them high, so the drips dry on the mesh as they fall and my animals get exercise whilst drinking. But you can also get poultry cups from the same company that makes the nipple drinkers, I haven't yet, because after seeing the muck that ends up in the tin... I suspect that their beeks are actually quite filthy and I have a suspicion that the poultry cup would be a mini cesspit in no time, even with much cleaning.

4. jespere

jespere Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Really? No matter what you do they leak?? I'm also in south florida and I just got a few from a friend because he ordered too many... I am hesitant to use them now. If I can get them to stop leaking, I'll let you know!

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:go gators!

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    My Dad was born in Gainesville, went to Univ. of Florida [​IMG]

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:go gators!

I was about to say something, but then I thought about how bad Tennessee was...[​IMG]

8. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I know I'm not suppose to use the chicken word on this site but I use the farm tek water nipple in a one gallon bucket and they never leak. I am planning on using them in a quart plastic water jar for my quail.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Since I make a new beer every 2 weeks I have a good supply

HEY BUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDY [​IMG]

[​IMG] OH NEVERMIND, FORGOT YOU WERE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BIG POND... [​IMG]

10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Ran thru my mind too JJ. Mmmmmm homebrew..... I made beer for several years. The only down side was every time I had a less than good batch, there was 5 gallons of it. This my friend, is a good time to have a few good friends that are "TRUE BEER SLUTS", problem solved!! Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by