Nipple Waterer Info

cool site, needs work but good info
smile.png

I bought some already set up on the square tube from Kullas here on BYC (awesome purchase I think
smile.png
) and then got free 5 gallon containers from the Chinese take out place, here is what one looks like all set up.

I had some leakage in 2 of them at the point where the tubing connected so I used this rubber tape and wrapped the area really tight and now those that leaked are working perfectly. like I said I got the bars wit the nipples attached and the rubber joint piece from Kullas and the rest I got from the local landscape depot.

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

I have 5 set up but this was the first test in one of my garage pens before frost had ended. They all work great and I now use the red cups to catch the drips as well. My only issue is where I put it the sometimes can perch on it so I have to figure that out. but so far they are working great and make my life so much easier.

Does anyone know if I can put ACV in these?

Last edited:
Quote:
Well that is what they call themseves and besides I pay them real well and spring for lunch at least twice a week and never complain about their expense accounts.
I think that they are busy because I consider them all over achivers. Plus they play computer games on the clock and I don't come down on them to hard for that.

Quote:
One nipple will easily take care of your 6 hens. How about something like this-

385947980.jpg

With this design a single nipple drinker can be installed at an approximate height necessary for the birds
and then can easily be raised or lowered with about 3" of vertical movement without the use of tools.

385948299.jpg

Here is an idea for a water reservoir. Just a one gallon plastic jug with an 11/32" hole bored in it and the
tubing forced thru. Just cut the tubing on the diagonal to easily start it into the hole. No fittings needed. I hung
the jug on a screwhook. If a bigger container, especially one with a larger fill hole, is needed it could be set on
a shelf with a slot to easily take it down to fill or clean. I have seen such at Walmart that would work well. During
the summer, in your case, the water reservior could be out side the coop for easy filling but should be protected
from the sun to discourage algae and bacterial slime growth. As mentioned by Dogfish - make certain that you
set things up so the birds cannot fly up and perch on anything.

Price- I think that everything you see below the jug with 6' of tubing including shipping would be $12.00. You would have
to use your own PVC glue to attach the top and bottom to the pipe.

Your six hens will drink about 1 gallon of water a every three days unless they are drinking excessively to withstand
high temperature.

Someone asked about using vinegar. Vinegar is an acceptable water additive for any of the nipple drinkers that I
work with. As is chlorine bleach and hydrogen peroxide both of which I prefer to vinegar. Years ago when we used
rubber seals all of those were injurious to nipples. I would be suprised if they were even made anymore.

Neil, you could supply me everything in the pix above for $12 including shipping +/-?
If so, I will be in touch to order when I get to that point. Still have to get the coop together.
Do you have a Personal Email I can reach you at?
Steve

This might be a newbie question, but is there any reason you can't just attach the nipple directly to the bucket if you have a walk in coop? I ordered the nipples today, and I am getting some buckets from the grocery store deli. It seems to me if you put the nipple directly into the side of the bucket towards the bottom, and elevate the bucket to chicken height it will create less areas/opportunity for leakage. Does the nipple have to be pointed down to functions or can it be perpendicular to the bucket? Can you put the nipple on the bottom of the bucket? Just wanted to see if anyone had tried that and if it worked/didn't work and why. Thanks!

Quote:

oh wow thanks! yes I have a fitting glued into the cap then the tubbing attatched to that. I hopefully wont have to take the cap back off very often (maybe every few months for a cleaning. I am gonna look for something like the pic you posted.

What I really like about the jug is that with my water/air hole at the top right above where the handle is allows the air to travel up the handle (which is hollow) and escape easily. It was a fluke that I figured it out on the first try but it really works well with the extra hole placed there. you can see the air bubbles go up the handle and out when you fill
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom