Nipple Waterer

SAAVE853

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 14, 2010
I have a 5 gal waterer now and i am a bit disgusted by the smell that thing gets after just a day or so, even when i take it all apart and clean it with mild soap it will still start to smell after a day or 2.

I go out of town a lot for work especially on the weekends and i despise finding the water so nasty when I return, feed is not a problem as I have a 14 lb hanging feeder now my question is as follows:

Has any one put a nipple system on a PVC pipe connected to a hose so you don't have to have a reservoir?

Ok, I'll answer here too...

Yes, that is how they are normally run in commercial operations. You must have a pressure regulator though as they are only designed for less than 1 psi of pressure. These are the ones I use in my barn. The red item on the left of the system is an adjustable pressure regulator. The clear risers show water height (pressure).

get_image.php

Search apple cider vinegar.

My chick waterer had an awful smell in it everyday, although I washed it with soap and water. A splash of acv and the smell is almost completely gone. Healthy for the birds too.

If you are using a bucket, you can use the nipples or cups but if the bucket is not enough, you will need the regulator Mac suggested so you can hook directly to the pressured hose.

Last edited:
My hens did very well with the nipple waterers. I used to complain about them because I "felt" that they did not provide enough water for my chickens but everyone has told me I was wrong. I believe them but still feel better with waterer cups.

Back
Top Bottom