Push-In Or Screw-In?

• Push

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Screw

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
I've never seen push-ins before.
Learn something new everyday...
I use screw-ins, 2 per container. I've only got 4 girls, so a nipple per bird and this seems to work fine for me. It almost seems like they each have their favorite one, LoL.
Introduced nipples at a couple weeks, put each birds beak to a nipple and that was it. They caught on immediately.
Good luck!:highfive:

image.jpg
Thanks! We’re off to get them today so I’ll post about how it goes! They’re smart so I think they’ll catch on...

I was reading my all time favorite chick raising book, “Hatching & Brooding Your Own Chicks” by Gail Damerow and I read a page about nipple waterers. Apparently there are push-in and screw-in types...!

View attachment 1362512 Thanks! We’re off to get them today so I’ll post about how it goes! They’re smart so I think they’ll catch on...

I was reading my all time favorite chick raising book, “Hatching & Brooding Your Own Chicks” by Gail Damerow and I read a page about nipple waterers. Apparently there are push-in and screw-in types...!
Oh, they'll catch on, alright!
Have fun watching them peck for water. It's pretty cool...

Hello! We got the nipples, in a 4 pack and we attatched two to the bottom of a 2ish gallon bucket. But the bucket filled with water is so heavy that the cardboard box can’t really support its weight if we hang it off of a 2x2” going across. So we had to get a crate, flip it on it’s side put the waterer on top,only to realize that it’s waaay too high. So in go the old shelving unit thingies do that the can reach the nipple. Oh wait, now they can’t get into the crate! Let’s put some small 2x2” prices in front of it so it’s like a staircase in! Yay, now they can get to it! Whoops, didn’t realize that it would take up almost a third of the brooder space... what’s this? They’re all hiding from it? Let’s put their food in to the crate! Yay, now they are going in! Wait a second, it’s kind of hard for them to see the tiny little nipples... I’m going to individually introduce each one to the nipples. Well, I saw them all swallow so they must know where it is, right? Wrong, only my smarty-farty Jersey Giant Ruth discovered it. Just like what happened with the old waterer. (Gee, Ruth is really good at finding water!)

So will they all figure out how to drink from it? So far Ruth and Pom (Ameraucana) have “had a drink”, but with Pom it was an accident I think... let me know if they’ll be alright!

We use all forms of watering styles discussed above, and the various feedback is all on point with our experiences. Use of nipples by our previously spoiled hens was an issue getting them to convert. Our 1st 5 girls wouldn't catch on to nipples (screw in) so we switched to the cups.

The cups have more parts and tend to clog with residue (or hard water deposits) so there is more maintenance but even that is easy if you lay the parts on a paper towel in the order you take them apart. Testing them each time you change out the water will keep your cleaner too.

We tried nipples again when we expanded the flock, 1st with the new 5 pullets and the "Old Girls" got jealous and "learned" finally to use them. Ah chicken psychology.

On screw in vs push - Go screw in, pre drilling the holes may seem problematic - we have over drilled the size - so go slow and test them to see as you go. We were surprised that the holes looked too small but fit the threads just fine. A set of graduated drill bits (shaped like a stepped cones) also helps to size appropriately. And rubber gaskets can "plug" a slight leak so get several in the same size as your nipples - some come with them.

Algae - also consider adding a little Apple Cider vinegar to the water to help combat the issue. And a lidded container that you can easily clean every inside surface. Its a matter of when not if you will get algae, easy cleaning helps have healthy chickens. Algae can grow in almost any environment including glaciers so plan for it and you will not regret your choices.

I have one of these, and it's mounted on a 2 gal. Gott water dispenser. It does form algae in the summer, but a little bleach water takes care of it. 6 hens use it, and I fill it every other day unless we are in extreme temps. I like that I can see if it's empty.
image.jpg

When you get tired of the drips/wet ground under the vertical nipples go get some horizontal ones. Plus the horizontal ones will not freeze up in a heated bucket like the vertical ones will.

I'm currently using 20 vertical nipples for my quail but I'm slowly transitioning to horizontal ones...

Back
Top Bottom