Nite Guard Solar-Powered Night Predator Protector

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by outback hatcher, Oct 9, 2010.

1. outback hatcher

outback hatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Has anyone tried this?
    If so does it work?
    Nite Guard Solar-Powered Night Predator Protector

[​IMG]

State-of-the-art predator protection against nocturnal feral animals!

2. Chickmate

Chickmate Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    SE Michigan
    I bought four of them because so many here said they worked great. I have mine:confused: up and they are flashing all night, but I don't have my chickens yet, so nothing to draw a predator. Sorry I can't help.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'd never heard of them, and just have a regular motion sensor light aimed down into my run. I guess you can never have too much security though, so I'm subscribing to this post to read BYCer reviews...

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I've had 3 of them for several months. I don't care what the nay-sayers have to say about "raccoons can't see red" and "why not just put any old blinking light out there" - I think they work!

I have two goldfish ponds right next to each other, almost joined, before I ever got chickens. I suffered terrible predation from raccoons - lost 7 Koi, about 5 big gold fish, and had multiple pond plants torn up on a nightly basis.

I bought 3 Nite Guard units (recommendation is for 4, one on each side of run) but my chicken run is REALLY close to my house and I figured that side was pretty well protected or at least less likely for the raccoons and possums to roam.

I'm telling you, not a single goldfish lost, no signs of raccoon predation or torn up pond plants. I think they're a good investment, although I wish each unit didn't cost quite so much. Oh well.

There's a UK version, different company, that sells "two red lights" solar powered anti-predator thingies. I'm going to look into those, too. I lost the link, though, so I have to do some searching.

5. outback hatcher

outback hatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If it's a blinking light wouldn't red blinking christmas lights be the same? just curious

6. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I've used one in my garden for two years (just one even tho they recommend four---one in each direction). Never had a raccoon rip down corn (a first) or any other critter bother anything. In a side garden without it I pretty much lost every melon. Other thing I would add is that I have used it for two years and it is out there blinking away. Building my coop now and I plan at least two out there.

7. billfields

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    If it's a blinking light wouldn't red blinking christmas lights be the same? just curious

They blink a bit faster than that...it's more like a pulsing or strobing light than a blinking Christmas light.​

8. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    billfields, love your tag line!!! [​IMG] But then i live in a cave filled with dragons! [​IMG]

9. Trampledbygeese

Trampledbygeese Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Quote:Nite eyes . I've heard really good things about this product and I would love to try it... but they don't ship to Canada.

I'm wondering if there is a way to macgyver up a contraption like this for our farm using holiday decorations. Sure would like the real thing though.

10. billfields

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    You would need a red LED connected to a solar cell and set to pulse about once a second...in some weatherproof housing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by