NJ chick buying law???

NJbirdlover

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Salem County, NJ
Hi everyone- I am a soon to be chick mama (9 chicks due to arrive 1st week in May). When I was ordering from local feed store they informed me that NJ law requires that I buy atleast 6 chicks. This was fine at the time because I wanted more then that any way. I was at TSC yesterday and found a breed that I was looking for but not avail at the feed store. I only wanted to buy 2- 3 pullets at the most. Unfortunately I was told again that NJ law requires a purchase of 6. I even tried showing him my receipt that I do have other chicks on their way-no go. :(My question is: what is the reason behind this? I don't have room for another 6 orI would have bought them. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
idunno.gif

Any thoughts????

The reason is to discourage folks from just buying one or two chicks or ducks for Easter, birthdays, etc.. but who are not really set up to take care of them. The birds often end up being dumped at a lake, set loose, etc...

ahhh, ok, I see that point. I wish they would have taken my situation into consideration tho- I had proof that I had bought 9 already. O well.
thanks!

We have the same law here in Indiana . I was told it was for warmth of the chicks, I guess they think you can't keep em warm for ten minutes. be glad though alot of our stores require 25 minimum.. I kinda agree with the last poster about easter and all.

Last edited:
It's awful. CT implemented the same law recently. My coop just has room for 6 birds, and I already have some. I can only get more through friends or a chicken swap. The law totally discourages backyard poultry owners, and gives rise to inexperienced people starting off with larger flocks -- not great IMO ...

However, in CT you have to buy 6 chicks -- but only if that is ALL you are buying. Apparently if you buy a pullet, you can get as few chicks as you want, according to local farmers. I suppose this is because the young pullets aren't usually so cute (except to us BYCers, of course) and the assumption is that only serious buyers buy pullets. That is how last Spring I was able to buy 3 chicks -- I reserved a pullet to pick up later, and bought the chicks and took them home. The farmer said, of course, if you don't come to pick up the pullet... basically citing the loophole in the law.

Strangely enough tho, I can't find the actual law cited anywhere online, and I wonder what the actual language is.

I don't agree with them doing the 6 chick minimum. For 1 alot of backyard chicken owners within city limits are not allowed 6 chickens. From what I see it is 3 or 4 normally. So what is the average chicken owner from the city suppose to do with the extra chickens? Also if that same city owner had a chicken die and wanted to get "1" replaced because you are allowed 4 but now down to 3. So you go buy 6 due to the "law" and then you have 5 extra's. Just doesn't make sense to me. Would be interested in seeing where this "law" actually is in most states. I am not totally buying that whole story. Some hatcheries are able to sell less then that (being picked up of course). So how does that work? Those same hatcheries sell to TSC, come from the same flocks yet from TSC you must buy 6, but straight from the hatchery you can buy 2 or 3.

I know. The fact that I couldn't find the law online (usually I can find ANYTHING online) makes me a bit suspicious... CT usually has more common sense than to create a law like this. But the farmer's I talked to said that the state was doing inspections and giving violations for non-compliance.

Some laws are just stupid. I heard on the radio yesterday that one state(didn't catch which one) has a law prohibiting crossing state lines with a duck on your head. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom