NJ - Sussex County Poultry Fanciers Annual Fall Show 2012

It's always fun! Where else can you hang with people who don't look at you funny when you tell them you have chickens?

AND, where else are you going to see 900 of the best examples of the various breeds of poultry?

There is no admission, directions can be found here: www.njstatefair.org.

Judging starts at nine am, and I ask that all visitors please remain outside the show hall until then to give the exhibitors time to finish prepping their birds. Once the judging starts, please respect the judge by staying out of any aisles while they are judging.

Chinese auction usually starts around 1:30.

Bring boxes if you hope to purchase birds. Serama hen, if there are no Seramas for sale, pick up an exhibitors list and find the number on the card of the bird you like (on the cages in the show hall.) That number is the exhibitor's name and contact info - you can try to reach them at the show to talk to them about purchasing birds. Or, you can check out the Serama thread here on BYC, and see what breeders are attending. I know there are some, as I registered them myself a couple of weekends ago. (I don't know who, as I don't have the entry forms here.)

Buyers: anytime you want to be assured of finding what you want at the sale, you must contact a breeder and have them bring birds for you there. This sometimes must be done many months in advance for the best breeders. Go to the breed thread here on BYC, or go to the website of the parent club for that breed and look for breeder's names there. Sometimes you must join that club to get the list, sometimes it's just on the site. The show never knows what's going to appear in the sale area.

New people, please realize that many of us drive many hours FOR EACH show - next month we're heading to Columbus, Ohio, for a show. Mentioning how long you have to drive does not garner much sympathy. I understand wanting to find sure gold at the end of that rainbow, I've done the same, but unless you make arrangements with a breeder beforehand, every sale area is a gamble. You might find what you're looking for, you might not. OR, you might find an unexpected surprise. We make no promises except that it's a great experience. I apologize if that sounds harsh, but that is the reality. It's something you learn with experience. I haven't bought a bird without first making arrangements with a breeder in years. I want to make sure I go home with what I came for!

Remember, also, the Info Session for Newcomers and First-timers is at 10am in the Livestock Pavilion, the open building with the bleachers across the way from the show hall and sale/food area. We will be discussing how to get the most out of visiting and showing, and will take questions about that, and general bird care.

Don't forget your camera!

Don't forget that the poultry vendors will be there and it is always great to buy from them - discounted pricing on EVERYTHING and NO SHIPPING CHARGES - feeders, waterers, medication, etc. - it is always much, much cheaper there!!!

Mame1616 also does a great job setting this up and getting everyone to go an enjoy themselves! You will not be sorry attending this event!!!

Serama, go to the very first post on this thread, it has a link to all the show information.

Okay, 5 birds washed, 3 to go! Do I really need to clip their nails?

Serama, go to the very first post on this thread, it has a link to all the show information.

Okay, 5 birds washed, 3 to go! Do I really need to clip their nails?

Clip them if they need it, but you don't always need to. And, be sure to have some Quik-stop on hand in case you hit a bleeder, which I do almost every time, no matter how careful I am.

Just heard that the artist who panted the fabulous Jersey Giant image on the front cover of the catalog will be there with more of his collection - he's wonderful! We are very excited!

looking for seramas at the fair help me out

Did you check on the serama thread? And, while we are located at the fairgounds, this is the poultry show, not the fair. There are birds at both, so we try to be specific because there is a considerable difference between the two.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom