the

D.gif
Sussex County Poultry Fanciers
D.gif

Annual Fall Show

October 20-21

New Jersey State Fairgrounds, Augusta NJ

D.gif

This fall is a special two-day show because we have the privilege of hosting the Jersey Giant Club National Meet, in honor of the 90th anniversary of that breed's entry into the APA's Standard of Perfection. This is New Jersey's breed, developed in the late 19th century, and the largest breed of chicken.

yippiechickie.gif

As always, there will be a Chinese auction as well as a bake sale. Donations for both are greatly appreciated!

D.gif

This year we will also be hosting a special buffet dinner, at approximately $15 per person, after the show on Saturday night. It's a great time to socialize after a busy day in the hall. Please add this amount to your entry on the line provided.

yippiechickie.gif

Several rooms have already been reserved at the official host hotel, and there are many other hotels listed in the catalog.
On site camping is also available.

D.gif

The SCPFA is New Jersey's only remaining poultry club. We host two shows a year, in May and October. Ours shows have numbered as many as 1000 entries, so they are well worth the visit, and competition can be fierce.

yippiechickie.gif

Nowhere else in the state will you find such an abundance of poultry knowledge as you will at our shows. Attendees come from many other states to participate. This is an excellent opportunity to those new in the hobby to see and learn. Those of us who have been raising birds for some time are always delighted to answer questions!

D.gif

Please see the attached catalog and entry form for answers to almost all inquiries.
(Of course, you can always ask here, or contact me directly for more info - Mary Hussey, [email protected])

yippiechickie.gif

See you at the show!!

Oh No! Mame! Sorry to hear about the cocci. I hope that's all it is and you get it cleared up right quick!

DaisyFeilds: Welcome! And I am so jealous that you live so close to the fairgrounds. It's a 3 hr drive for us. I love my Marans! Cool eggs, great personalities, and a good meat bird as well -what's not to like? Containing your enthusiasm? None sense. Chicken math, my friend!

I just found out about this event and boy am I excited!! I'm a chicken newbie, got my first chickens this summer and live just a couple miles from the fairgrounds. I can't wait to see all of the great birds and see if I can find a few more pullets to add to my flock. I'd really like to get a couple Marans, but am interested in lots of kinds... (Deperately trying to contain my enthusiasm!)

It looks like Saturday is the big day, but I was thinking of going both days to see what people bring - is that a good idea or not?
Daisy, Sunday is generally for the exhibitors, because there's not a whole lot going on, although you may get a couple of last-minute sales. Sometimes, if the exhibitors live close by, they will bring other birds back on Sunday, but not always, as the crowd is smaller. Also, anything purchased "off-the-floor" - meaning out of the show cages - cannot be picked up until Sunday, when the show is over after distribution of awards. If you're that close, you might come back early Sunday - since the show hopefully will get out by eleven - with any questions that you forgot to ask, or didn't think of, and get them answered then. The next opportunity won't be until May, unless you go to different show. I highly recommend the Northeastern Poultry Congress in Springfield, Mass, in January. That is fairly close to you.

Last edited:
Speaking of asking questions...

Newbies:

I HIGHLY recommend you keep a written list of questions to bring with you to the show. Get a pad now and stick it by the computer, or bring it when you go to the coop, or wherever you will remember to write down things you want to know between now and the 20th. I guarantee you will forget the rest after asking the first couple of questions, because your senses are going to be so bombarded - not the least of which by all of the crowing cocks and cockerels. Happens to me at every show. Because do I ever remember to actually BRING the list?? That would be a no.

Also - stand by - I am working on having a program at the show for all newbies: explaining the show, answering questions, small tour - that sort of thing. Something i wish I'd had when I started, and was feeling out of my element. I'll post here when I have something. It will probably happen early in the day, like 10am.

This is good to know!!! I'm also new to the shows and appreciate all the help and info I can get
thumbsup.gif

!!!Show Updates!!!

There will be a Newcomer/First-timer Info Session at 10am in the Livestock Pavilion, across the way from the Poultry Barn. Signs will be posted around the area. Topics include how to make the most of your visit, how to get involved in showing, what goes on at a poultry show, and more. In addition, there will be a general Question & Answer session for any chicken questions - bring your lists. Don't be afraid to ask - we ALL asked those questions in the beginning. There are no dumb questions!
Experienced exhibitors and owners, please pass the word to those you know who are just getting started in raising and showing Thanks!

Last night, we registered 894 birds! By the time we set-up the cages, we expect to break 1000! We have exhibitors coming from several states for the Jersey Giant National, and are pushing 50 birds in that breed. You won't see another grouping of this impressive bird anywhere else.

Heading towards fifty reservations for the Exhibitor's Banquet, being held at the Hampton Diner on Rt. 206 in Newton from 6-10pm, October 20. Since the price was raised to $20 after the catalogs were mailed, those who included the banquet fee in their entry (thank you!) can pay the remaining $5 at the door. Remember, dress is business casual. There will be recognitions and introductions somewhere around 8pm, so please arrive in time to get your seats. Allow about 15 minutes from the fairgrounds for travel.​

Last edited:
I have a couple of Cochin males i need to rehome. Would you be interested in taking them? They are just 1-2 months old.
Are you sure they are males? They are one of those tricky breeds that look alike at this young age.
If you are close by, just pay $3.00 for a sales cage. They will both fit into one cage.
I am sure someone will take them for the right price.
You check in at the sales area, write on the provided card (or make up something nice at home).
Hang it on the sales cage with your cell #, and enjoy yourself at the show.
When your phone rings, you're done!
Sometimes, you may want to bring additional tags/cards/flyers....Chickens do get bored and will eat them.
See you at the show!

Don't forget that the poultry vendors will be there and it is always great to buy from them - discounted pricing on EVERYTHING and NO SHIPPING CHARGES - feeders, waterers, medication, etc. - it is always much, much cheaper there!!!

Mame1616 also does a great job setting this up and getting everyone to go an enjoy themselves! You will not be sorry attending this event!!!

YAY a new thread!
I will be bringing a BUNCH of cockerels for the sales area.
Around 30 "Brown egg layer breeds" RIR, BR, Welsummer, Red sex links, plus a lavender Orp, and a buff Orp.
And I am considering thinning out my pack of forever broodies. These girls just won't give up.
I have a trio of Shamo that I will only sell to the right people, so if you are interested, PM me.
As I will not have room in my little VW, they will stay at home unless I get a serious buyer.
And yes, I will consider splitting them up.
And a few mottled Japanese cockerels. Nice short legs, ABA banded. I just have too many.
My friend Vera will have BBS Silkie chicks.

And if anyone can get ahold of Joe Cavaliere, I would be more than happy to help him, as we live only about 15 min away from each other.

I am the chicken earring lady. Not sure if I will set up the table this time ( I missed so much of the show this spring), but if you want to PM me, I can custom make something and deliver it at the show.
And... I am also the gal that baked those famous cream cheese brownies.
Between making earrings, bathing chickens, and jamming at least 40 birds into my car... I may have time to bake, too.

And people wonder why I call my self stoopid.
lau.gif

Lol. That could be a sight going down the road, a bunch of chickens jammed into a vw trying their hardest to get to those brownies, ha ha.

Back
Top Bottom