NJ - Sussex County Poultry Fanciers Annual Fall Show 2012

Speaking of asking questions...

Newbies:

I HIGHLY recommend you keep a written list of questions to bring with you to the show. Get a pad now and stick it by the computer, or bring it when you go to the coop, or wherever you will remember to write down things you want to know between now and the 20th. I guarantee you will forget the rest after asking the first couple of questions, because your senses are going to be so bombarded - not the least of which by all of the crowing cocks and cockerels. Happens to me at every show. Because do I ever remember to actually BRING the list?? That would be a no.

Also - stand by - I am working on having a program at the show for all newbies: explaining the show, answering questions, small tour - that sort of thing. Something i wish I'd had when I started, and was feeling out of my element. I'll post here when I have something. It will probably happen early in the day, like 10am.
Thanks so much Mame!! What a great idea and a wonderful thing to do for us, so very nice of you - I can't wait, and I'm starting my question list today:)

There's also the cutest little group of antique stores in Lafayette - the main road goes right through there. And I highly recommend the Chatterbox Restaurant, which celebrates old movies and old cars. They have regular car shows on the weekend. Be prepared for a wait, as they don't take reservations, but the food is good, classic diner food. I rarely get to go, because I'm always at the show until after they close.
hmm.png

!!!Show Updates!!!

There will be a Newcomer/First-timer Info Session at 10am in the Livestock Pavilion, across the way from the Poultry Barn. Signs will be posted around the area. Topics include how to make the most of your visit, how to get involved in showing, what goes on at a poultry show, and more. In addition, there will be a general Question & Answer session for any chicken questions - bring your lists. Don't be afraid to ask - we ALL asked those questions in the beginning. There are no dumb questions!
Experienced exhibitors and owners, please pass the word to those you know who are just getting started in raising and showing Thanks!

Last night, we registered 894 birds! By the time we set-up the cages, we expect to break 1000! We have exhibitors coming from several states for the Jersey Giant National, and are pushing 50 birds in that breed. You won't see another grouping of this impressive bird anywhere else.

Heading towards fifty reservations for the Exhibitor's Banquet, being held at the Hampton Diner on Rt. 206 in Newton from 6-10pm, October 20. Since the price was raised to $20 after the catalogs were mailed, those who included the banquet fee in their entry (thank you!) can pay the remaining $5 at the door. Remember, dress is business casual. There will be recognitions and introductions somewhere around 8pm, so please arrive in time to get your seats. Allow about 15 minutes from the fairgrounds for travel.​

Last edited:
I have a couple of Cochin males i need to rehome. Would you be interested in taking them? They are just 1-2 months old.
Are you sure they are males? They are one of those tricky breeds that look alike at this young age.
If you are close by, just pay $3.00 for a sales cage. They will both fit into one cage.
I am sure someone will take them for the right price.
You check in at the sales area, write on the provided card (or make up something nice at home).
Hang it on the sales cage with your cell #, and enjoy yourself at the show.
When your phone rings, you're done!
Sometimes, you may want to bring additional tags/cards/flyers....Chickens do get bored and will eat them.
See you at the show!

Well, we knew to expect more than the usual number of Jersey Giants because of the Jersey Giant National, but as of today there are

th.gif
ep.gif
th.gif
OVER SEVENTY JERSEY GIANTS ENTERED!!
th.gif
ep.gif
th.gif

If you've ever considered this wonderful breed, this is your chance to meet and greet some of the top breeders in the country. Don't miss it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom