NJ - Sussex County Poultry Fanciers Annual Fall Show 2012

Yay! The show is getting closer, I'm excited! Who else is coming and what are you all showing/selling??:D

Yay! The show is getting closer, I'm excited! Who else is coming and what are you all showing/selling??
big_smile.png
showing sumatras faverolles cochins houdan barnavelder welsummer d'anver OEGB muscovies and sebis and selling sumatras faverolles and ameracanas

I got my entry form mailed, YAY!

Now I need to order some brightly colored feeders (so maybe Mame will water my guys too!).
tongue.png
No problem - $10 a bird
wink.png

I might not have anything, as it appears I have a bit of a cocci issue. Bringing a fecal to the vet tomorrow. Dammit.

Last edited:
I just found out about this event and boy am I excited!! I'm a chicken newbie, got my first chickens this summer and live just a couple miles from the fairgrounds. I can't wait to see all of the great birds and see if I can find a few more pullets to add to my flock. I'd really like to get a couple Marans, but am interested in lots of kinds... (Deperately trying to contain my enthusiasm!)

It looks like Saturday is the big day, but I was thinking of going both days to see what people bring - is that a good idea or not?

Oh No! Mame! Sorry to hear about the cocci. I hope that's all it is and you get it cleared up right quick!

DaisyFeilds: Welcome! And I am so jealous that you live so close to the fairgrounds. It's a 3 hr drive for us. I love my Marans! Cool eggs, great personalities, and a good meat bird as well -what's not to like? Containing your enthusiasm? None sense. Chicken math, my friend!

I just found out about this event and boy am I excited!! I'm a chicken newbie, got my first chickens this summer and live just a couple miles from the fairgrounds. I can't wait to see all of the great birds and see if I can find a few more pullets to add to my flock. I'd really like to get a couple Marans, but am interested in lots of kinds... (Deperately trying to contain my enthusiasm!)

It looks like Saturday is the big day, but I was thinking of going both days to see what people bring - is that a good idea or not?
Daisy, Sunday is generally for the exhibitors, because there's not a whole lot going on, although you may get a couple of last-minute sales. Sometimes, if the exhibitors live close by, they will bring other birds back on Sunday, but not always, as the crowd is smaller. Also, anything purchased "off-the-floor" - meaning out of the show cages - cannot be picked up until Sunday, when the show is over after distribution of awards. If you're that close, you might come back early Sunday - since the show hopefully will get out by eleven - with any questions that you forgot to ask, or didn't think of, and get them answered then. The next opportunity won't be until May, unless you go to different show. I highly recommend the Northeastern Poultry Congress in Springfield, Mass, in January. That is fairly close to you.

Last edited:
Speaking of asking questions...

Newbies:

I HIGHLY recommend you keep a written list of questions to bring with you to the show. Get a pad now and stick it by the computer, or bring it when you go to the coop, or wherever you will remember to write down things you want to know between now and the 20th. I guarantee you will forget the rest after asking the first couple of questions, because your senses are going to be so bombarded - not the least of which by all of the crowing cocks and cockerels. Happens to me at every show. Because do I ever remember to actually BRING the list?? That would be a no.

Also - stand by - I am working on having a program at the show for all newbies: explaining the show, answering questions, small tour - that sort of thing. Something i wish I'd had when I started, and was feeling out of my element. I'll post here when I have something. It will probably happen early in the day, like 10am.

Last edited:
Speaking of asking questions...

Newbies:

I HIGHLY recommend you keep a written list of questions to bring with you to the show. Get a pad now and stick it by the computer, or bring it when you go to the coop, or wherever you will remember to write down things you want to know between now and the 20th. I guarantee you will forget the rest after asking the first couple of questions, because your senses are going to be so bombarded - not the least of which by all of the crowing cocks and cockerels. Happens to me at every show. Because do I ever remember to actually BRING the list?? That would be a no.

Also - stand by - I am working on having a program at the show for all newbies: explaining the show, answering questions, small tour - that sort of thing. Something i wish I'd had when I started, and was feeling out of my element. I'll post here when I have something. It will probably happen early in the day, like 10am.

This is good to know!!! I'm also new to the shows and appreciate all the help and info I can get
thumbsup.gif

BAKE SALE!!

I am in charge of the bake sale table, and would like to compile a list of those interested in donating one hour to work the table on Saturday. In one hour increments, no one has to spend all day, and can see the show. I'll need people to cover from 9am-4pm. (Please make me look good by signing up!) Thanks all!

Donations are very welcome, and can be dropped off Saturday Morning, since otherwise they would have to spend the night in the barn - probably not a good idea. Anything and everything is welcome, although if you could include an index card with the ingredients, I would appreciate it. There's a lot of chicken baked goods on the Web - try Googling "chick cupcakes!" Come early if you want some of Roberta's brownies!

List of volunteers is primarily being assembled on our club FB page, which is also a great spot to learn more about the show.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom