NJ - Sussex County Poultry Fanciers Annual Fall Show

SIgh, I will probably try and sell my roos at the show in Augusta, I just have way too many bantam roos......................
WIsh I was going to thatr CHickenstock, I have to fly out to Chicago, though...............lots of cool stuff there.................

Thanks Shaffer - good idea. I should have posted a couple of days ago that the the entry date has now passed. I'm showing 9 birds this time - never shown that many before! How will I get them all bathed ? And the blow drying?! This is when I regret the big birds - they take forever, and DO NOT like to get their baths. I have BYC friends form MD and PA coming who have never come before - I'm so excited!
woot.gif

Same with my Silkies. They take about an hour each to blow-dry. Not the most fun part of show preping, especially because they hate it.

Not long now.
smile.png
Very excited. This is the closest fairgrounds to me. I love the luxary of only having to drive 30 min. It usually takes 1 and 1/2 hrs-4 hrs to get to any decent shows.

Quote:
Me too - and this is almost 2 hours with no traffic. I'm still planning to go to Syracuse, Ohio, and maybe Frederick. Mostly 'cause I have the time now, and who knows what next year will bring?

My biggest problem is not the prep, it's what to do with them afterwards until the show - can't put them back in the coop 'cause you know they'll be taking a dust bath in the shavings! They have to all be in carriers until then, so I don't want to wash them too soon. But then, the cochins have to have enough time to dry...(sigh) It is a real balancing act. I think I'm planning to do them all Thursday night. That way I can get them MOSTLY blow-dried and save myself a little time.

When we're done with bathing and blow-drying them, we either do a REALLY good job of cleaning up the coop and filling it with alot of shavings, or keep them in the basement (unfinished) in dog kennels or screw some sheet-rock together in a corner and keep them there, so at least they can spread their wings a little.

My biggest problem is trying to get them to not dip their face in the water. It's like they do it on purpose. The waterer is very shallow to begin with but it also has rocks in it. I feel like the beards are permenantly damp because they almost never have a chance to dry.

I'm planning to take my black Silkie pair. Wanted to bring my white girl but she's maturing so slowly. I'll be waiting on her til spring. Sigh...

I'm pretty sure this'll be my last show of the season, so I want to make it count. But I always love the Sussex ones. They do a great job. It's always a show.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom