NJ Towns that allow chickens

tupaia

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2015
i'm currently house hunting and seem to have found a few places that probably allow chickens (without an acreage minimum). I thought it would be great if anyone who knows where in NJ one can have chickens can share and we can spread the word about these great open-minded towns!

so far i am pretty sure chickens are allowed (without acreage minimum) in Berlin, Somerdale, and Chesilhurst.

Best to ask the realtor or call the zoning/animal control officer. He/she can give you a straight answer. Better to be sure before you buy the house.

Best to ask the realtor or call the zoning/animal control officer. He/she can give you a straight answer. Better to be sure before you buy the house.
thus far my experience has been that realtors don't know and will just say "call the township", but then whomever you manage to get on the phone doesn't have the code memorized and doesn't care to search it for you. so i look up the code online myself and search through it. get it from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I was hoping this thread could be a collection of towns where people are already successfully raising chickens so every other person doesn't have to go through all that research and headache.

WELLLLLL, not trying to be a wise guy, but when ya' live in a crappy place like Jersey, what'd ya' expect. Here people are nicer. Go to town hall and ask a question, right there they'd look up the answer. They'd even make a copy of the code and give it to ya'. No attitude, no issue's on problems.

i'm currently house hunting and seem to have found a few places that probably allow chickens (without an acreage minimum). I thought it would be great if anyone who knows where in NJ one can have chickens can share and we can spread the word about these great open-minded towns!

so far i am pretty sure chickens are allowed (without acreage minimum) in Berlin, Somerdale, and Chesilhurst.
Highland Park NJ allows you to have as many hens as you want but no roosters. Someone in town has 30 hens and sells eggs.

Hello, we live in Manalapan, Monmouth County, New Jersey, based on Chicken Ordinance we are OK to have as many chickens as we want including roosters as long as neighbors aren't complaining about the noise. Good luck!

Hello. I just moved to Fanwood, NJ and would like to raise chickens again. Anyone knows of ordinances for this area?

Hey everyone! So, I just got an email from the aide to the mayor of Fanwood that they will have an initial discussion about legalizing chickens here this Monday, February March 2nd at 7pm. They can either decide to continue the process of Modifying the ordinances or deny future discussions.

I will be able to talk in front of the council and am excited about the opportunity but also nervous because it doesn’t give me much time to “gather up allies” to attend the meeting.

Anyone in the area who would like to attend please reach out to me or anyone who has contacts in groups I can bring (sustainability, backyard gardeners, etc). Any advice would also be appreciated!

Here in Marlboro also in Monmouth county hens are no issue just don’t have a cock crowing at 6 am. Even if you do just give free eggs to your neighbors that might otherwise be irritated and you’ll find the fresh nonirriadiated eggs have the power of soothing the most ruffled feathers.

Back
Top Bottom