no animal by- product feed- help please!

I don't think I would supplement with fish meal (in the coop or run) as predator animals have a very keen sense of smell the the tiniest trace of fish would lure them to the coop.
I am going to supplement my chicken food, whatever I choose to feed, with small amounts of kelp meal and a small amount of olive leaf powder, peiodically. It is a great supplement and provides them with trace minerals and immune resistance.

Quote:

Look at it this way, if a animal is "feed" (injected) a preventative antibiotics each day wouldn't that be wasting money in the farmers part and taking away from his profit? Wouldn't you think that the animal would grow a immunity to the antibiotics to where the antibiotics would no longer fight the problem the farm is trying to prevent?
I wouldn't think a farm would risk there business by over using antibiotics or selling animals intended for a food sores that still had antibiotics in it.
Just think of the lawsuit that farm would/ could have on there hands if some people would die from a allergic reaction from the antibiotic that would be in the meat if sold with antibiotics still in it...

Chris

You really must rent Food, Inc. and watch it...you will learn so much. Actually, the type of antibiotics they use are very cheap compared to the profit they make by getting a steer to finish weight~simple penicillins. They feed these drugs to prevent illness caused by the high corn diets they consume. Yes, they do develop an immunity..at least the E.coli bacteria do and create a super bug...the one that causes many meat recalls and kills young children.

The farmer doesn't feed this...the corporations do. The corporations who buy young cattle and fatten in feedlots for your Chicken McNuggets and KFC enjoyment.

Lawsuits? Try it. Many have and don't have the time nor the money to ever pursue them...years of legal red tape and many thousands of dollars later you can find that you simply cannot prove that the reason someone died was from that source. They have millions of dollars to make sure you will lose.

Mother Earth News has an online site for their mag...find it and read up. You might find it interesting what is in your meats and what you are eating. All USDA approved and stamped.

Quote:

Look at it this way, if a animal is "feed" (injected) a preventative antibiotics each day wouldn't that be wasting money in the farmers part and taking away from his profit? Wouldn't you think that the animal would grow a immunity to the antibiotics to where the antibiotics would no longer fight the problem the farm is trying to prevent?
I wouldn't think a farm would risk there business by over using antibiotics or selling animals intended for a food sores that still had antibiotics in it.
Just think of the lawsuit that farm would/ could have on there hands if some people would die from a allergic reaction from the antibiotic that would be in the meat if sold with antibiotics still in it...

Chris

You really must rent Food, Inc. and watch it...you will learn so much. Actually, the type of antibiotics they use are very cheap compared to the profit they make by getting a steer to finish weight~simple penicillins. They feed these drugs to prevent illness caused by the high corn diets they consume. Yes, they do develop an immunity..at least the E.coli bacteria do and create a super bug...the one that causes many meat recalls and kills young children.

The farmer doesn't feed this...the corporations do. The corporations who buy young cattle and fatten in feedlots for your Chicken McNuggets and KFC enjoyment.

Lawsuits? Try it. Many have and don't have the time nor the money to ever pursue them...years of legal red tape and many thousands of dollars later you can find that you simply cannot prove that the reason someone died was from that source. They have millions of dollars to make sure you will lose.

Mother Earth News has an online site for their mag...find it and read up. You might find it interesting what is in your meats and what you are eating. All USDA approved and stamped.

And because it's in a film or in print that makes it true?
roll.png

Did you look at the article I provided a link to?

They don't give healthy animals antibiotics for no reason. It makes no sense for them to.

Hormones are not permitted in pork or chicken that is for sure. Hormones are permitted in cattle and that is for sure. I don't believe beef protein products are allowed in any animal feed, I believe and am not sure that beef fat can be used in animal feed.

The USDA for better or for worse consider Ionophore's (Bacitracin, Rumencin) antibiotics, many experts do not consider them antibiotics. Many hatcheries (including Tyson) do inject eggs at 18 days with some form of antibiotic. I am to lazy to look it up again but I believe the antibiotic is Gentamicin. I may not have spelled that correctly.

I prefer to stay as far from antibiotics as I can. I find it less inflammatory to state my preferences as opposed to stating that "all" commercial feeds are bad because of this that or another thing. I beleive it is far from documented that we are at risk from these feed additives that may have had some form of medication at one time in its life. I simply prefer to stay away from it when possible.

Dogma can get in the way of common sense some times.

Last edited:
Quote:
To answer the OP's question...I use the Countryside Natural Feed, which is organic but does contain fish meal. I have a reseller close to me so I can pick it up from her for a small fee. There is a link on their main page to try and find a reseller near you.

http://www.countrysidenatural.com/home.php

My initial feed order came in a week after I got my chicks so for the first week I used Purina. Side by side the difference was huge. The Purina was a solid color and did not smell particularly good. The Countryside looked like...well...actual grains. It smelled good - like grain and fish. I'm starting to switch them over to the broiler feed and I am just as happy with that. I have always been a huge believer in feeding my animals the highest quality feed I can afford. At the moment I have the resources to purchase the Countryside. That may change down the line but I sincerely hope not.

As far as disease/antibiotics being passed through feed, as others have mentioned BSE is not a threat in chicken feed. However, everyone will have a different opinion on the rest. I would say do your own research and form your own opinions. Everyone else has, hence the differing opinions.

Good luck with your chickens!
smile.png

Quote:

Chris

FYI Chris most experts that worry about antibiotic use in both animals and humans are not concerned with ingesting levels that create any issues from an allergy standpoint, most experts beleive that the overuse of antibiotics in both humans and animals causes some very real concerns with the bacteria becoming resistant. It is the main reason that the animal industry has become even more diligent in not routinely using families of antibiotics for livestock that are necessary for treating humans.

In a statement, the USDA said that it “found that [Tyson] routinely used the antibiotic Gentamicin to prevent illness and death in chicks” and ordered Tyson to “stop using the qualified raised without antibiotics labels” by June 18.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/01/tyson_suit.html#ixzz0tQw6jVWi

Last edited:
A lot of beef protein products, meat and bone meal, go into animal feed, but not into ruminant animal feed as it has been banned since 1996 or 97. No "Prohibited Proteins" are allowed into any types of feed. The "prohibited proteins" are those listed by the USDA as being possibly capable of transmitting disease. Those must be removed from the raw material prior to rendering into meat and bone meal.
Beef tallow is allowed in cattle feed and all other types of feed but it must be under 0.15 percent impurities, the impurities being mostly fines of bone and meat from the rendering process. The World Health Organization considers beef tallow with no greater than 0.15% impurities safe for all non human consumption uses. Edible beef tallow is even lower in impurities ie 0.05%. Just in case you wanted to know!
smile.png

Quote:

And because it's in a film or in print that makes it true?
roll.png

Did you look at the article I provided a link to?

They don't give healthy animals antibiotics for no reason. It makes no sense for them to.

They do indeed give "healthy" animals prophylactic antibiotics...
I'll still attempt to NOT feed my animals something I wouldn't put in my own body, as it will eventually get there when I in turn eat them~and you continue to eat commercially raised foods.

Quote:
This is a blatent falsehood that feeds the fears of people who don't have any idea how cattle in feedlots are treated and fed. They ARE NOT fed antibiotics on a daily basis.

The following is a link to an article written by Ryan Andrews who I understand is a vegetarian or vegan, I'm not sure which. It is an article he wrote after visiting a large cattle feeding operation in Colorado. Maybe if you refuse to believe those of us who are engaged in agriculture and the raising of cattle you'll believe one of your own.
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/cattle-feedlot-visit

I believe the OP was just asking where one can obtain feed without animal by-products in it and not really needing our opinions on which is best. I think she has a pretty firm grip on what she wants to feed or doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Here's what started the debate. "I hear....."

As far as a source of the feed the OP wants, I don't know. It's just not available around here and I am not driving for hours or paying delivery charges for more expensive feeds. Simply can't afford it. I do free range as much as possible and feel that it helps. Too bad we don't know what chemicals have been used on this property in the past..... certainly can't claim it's organic, because we have only run it that way for 6 years. No background info available.
hmm.png

I DO agree that any meat protein parts that are available DO attract predators! I am very careful to clean as thoroughly as possible after throwing meat products out.

Back
Top Bottom