no animal by- product feed- help please!

Organics North wrote this-

Back to the issue. You find nothing wrong with the current battery hen eggs sold for less than $1 a dozen. NO I DO NOT EITHER.
They are fed highly refined blends of commercial feed. NOW WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD EGG PRODUCERS WANT TO "HIGHLY REFINE" FEEDS THAT WOULD DECREASE NUTRIONAL VALUE AND ADD COST TO EGGS THAT SELL FOR LESS THAN A $1 A DOZEN.
The eggs are bland and pale. YEP - THAT IS TRUE!
Plus they are down right unhealthy compared to a free range or pastured egg. AN OPINION NOT SUPPORTED BY SCIENTIFIC EVEDENCE DISCOVERED BY SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH. FACT IS IT IS QUITE TO THE CONTRARY.
Here is your evidence:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs.aspx
MOTHER EARTH NEWS RESEARCH! WHAT A LAUGH.
"AN AGENDA WITHOUT FACTS"

Quote:
Ain't that the truth! They still annoy the heck out of me with their we're right you're wrong attitudes and preaching tho!! I've always said each to their own.....no one is 100% right.....or wrong.

Last edited:
Quote:
Lazy J wrote: I agree with a few of your points, but the venom in your disgust for commercial agriculture is clearly evident. Fortunately you have the choice to consume which foods you want.

Lazy J... Thanks I respect that... I may have trouble respecting your position.. But I do have respect for you as an individual. Thank you for being more respectful than I have been.. I appreciate and respect it....!!!

Know, the Homestead feed that was recomended is questionable to me as a viable option:
Here are the ingredients in the layer:
Grain products, plant protein products, processed grain by-products, calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, forage products, salt, vegetable oil, DL-methionine hydroxy analogue, magnesium sulfate, potassium sulfate, choline chloride, manganous oxide, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, dried yeast fermentation solubles, selenium yeast, brewer's dried yeast, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, folic acid, thiamine mononitrate, biotin

Wow they don't even list the grains.. Just processed grain products. What is this world coming to? I bet a dollars to donuts that feed has a healthy dose of soy. Which the OP does not want. (See above bold)

Personally I think an organic feed with fish meal is the right answer for the OP.

Respectfully
ON​

Last edited:
Well folks all I can add is I have read several scientific articles about research that has been done with soy products. It is believed (even more research will be needed to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt) that non fermented soy mimics hormones (mainly estrogen) that may be why our teens bodies are changing too fast as well as other health issues. The timing of these health issues in the general public directly relates to the timing of soy being ubiquitous. The big companies (Monsanto for one) has bigger bucks than we all do probably put together and too much invested in their grain products so fight this information tooth and nail. Also, all soy needs to be heated or fermented to inactivate a chemical that is a protein inhibitor.

I feel its too scary and don't want to wait until the fight is over (if it ever does end) and chose to feed a locally grown organic soy and corn free diet and includes fish protein instead. I am not against organic corn but I am wanting to stay away from too much soy which is already in oodles and oodles of products that you would never think would have it as an ingredient! It is spendy--I pay between $25-32 per 50 lbs. bag!
electricf.gif
Fortunately we only have 5 pullets or the cost could be a bit prohibitive.

To the OP--I live near Portland, Oregon and there are a few local farms in the Pacific Northwest that offer such a product. It smells and looks good and safe for human consumption! If you live in this area I will be happy to tell you where.
2lbkos0.gif

(edited--spelling error)!

Last edited:
Quote:
That would be Soy Bean Meal and would be considered a Plant Protein.
I believe that "Processed Grain By-Products would be (Brewers dried grains, distillers dried grains, corn gluten feed, wheat millings, bran (rice and wheat)
Where Plant Protein would be (Cottonseed meal, linseed meal, soybean meal, soybeans (heat processed), yeast (cultured)

Chris

Last edited:
The OP wanted a Soy free animal by products free feed. I got on my soap box (Yep, I was a preachen..
smile.png
) BECAUSE, I felt like the OP and anyone who said it was OK to think vegetarian, organic, or free of animal by products was attacked.

You know what I would much rather hear about le neige homme's ideas for producing fish protein specifically destined to be part of a poultry feed, not a by product. That is intriguing to me...
Just because some one has done something for 50 years does not make it the practice right.

I do not want to convince YOU...Katy of anything.. I promise. I do want to be able to talk about alternative agricultural methods with folks that are interested in trying it part of that discussion includes talking about what we see as the dangers of the current model. I also want to let readers know they can express their opinion and be themselves, they do not need to be ashamed or embarrassed of liking organic, or being vegetarian, or or being a flying purple people eater. for that matter.
th.gif
Remember about half of the nation and the majority of the planets population does not share YOUR view.

Oh yes I believe I heard it correctly that France has just mandated Organic foods be fed to school children.. Wow we give ours corn dogs...
sickbyc.gif

Peace..
wink.png

ON

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chris for the education!

Hey in response to chickerdoodle point on non fermented soy.. Chris, Lary J do either of you know the nutrient profile of fermented soy? May be that could be a viable as a protein source? The eastern countries that have been eating fermented soy in large quantities for a very long time seem to do well well with it...

Chickerdoodle, I to am very concerned about non fermented soy and the possible links to hormonal effects also.

ON

Back
Top Bottom