No brooder bedding?

They are precious! I have the same heat plate and my two Runner duckling spent more time on top than underneath they’ll be 3 weeks old on Wednesday and I packed the heat plate up this past Sat. What temp is the room they are in? Another thing is do you have the front higher than the back . Mine did not like it as low as I started out either.

They are precious! I have the same heat plate and my two Runner duckling spent more time on top than underneath they’ll be 3 weeks old on Wednesday and I packed the heat plate up this past Sat. What temp is the room they are in? Another thing is do you have the front higher than the back . Mine did not like it as low as I started out either.

Well, I also have one of those electric oil radiant heaters going in the bathroom to raise the temp to 80 degrees.

That’s chicks . Duckling don’t require near that as long as they are out of any drafts. I usually keep mine at 85 first week then lower the temp each week there after.

OMG! LOL. So the radiant heater was all I needed this whole time. Well. I'm going to start constructing their see-me-don't-touch me cage in the outside coop real soon. If I only had 3 ducklings, I could let them brood a little longer, but so far I now have 6, and have two more eggs about to hatch. One of the eggs I just put a safety hole in. It pipped internally yesterday. It has been 24 hours and no sign of an external pip. So hopefully with the safety hole(just a pin prick) in the fat end(into the air cell) of the shell, it won't run out of o2. I'll still be waiting for another 24 hours for a total of 48 hours internally pipped before I help further. Hopefully it makes it through. I lost one bird in its shell due to malposition at the beginning, but the others had hatched ok with very minimum assistance(laying the egg on its side after fully zipped).

You had a great hatch. Are you keeping all? My first hatch has turned out to be out of 4 eggs 4 drakes. They are going to live in VA. This coming Friday. Fawn and white is female. I also have 2 that will be 3 weeks old tomorrow sure hope those 2 are girls.
905364D7-DA82-48E0-8D7C-EB1199B7E73D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom