No. Calif. Chickenstock June 5, Kelseyville! memories and pics, p. 42+

OrpingtonManor

Building the Castle
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Martinez, CA
There's still a little time left! Come on out to the Chickenstock! It's gonna be a blast!
caf.gif
(It's frightening how accurate that smiley is.)

date: June 5, 2010
time: 11AM
place: Cole Creek Center
4965 Steelhead Dr (Off Soda Bay)
KelseyVille 95451
http://colecreekcenter.blogspot.com/

**please note, because we are being allowed to use this wonderful facility free of charge, there is no liability insurance on us. each attending family will need to sign a waiver upon arrival. **

we need volunteers to be in charge of the following:
permits/ reservations: kelseygirl
tables/chairs/paper plates, etc - kelseygirl
food/BBQ: SunnyDawn, coordinator
meat/meat substitute:

(1) SunnyDawn - ribs and pulled pork
(2) SilverPhoenix - veggie burgers
(3) kelseygirl's mom - hot dogs
(4) kelseygirl's SIL - vegetarian *meat*
salads:
(1) Orp - broccoli salad
(2) johnrillamas - oriental chicken salad
(3) Joan - yogurt salad
desserts:
(1) Orp - monkey bread
(2) SilverPhoenix - TBD
(3) wolftracks - TBD
side dishes:
(1) ??
chips:
(1) flowergirl - various yummy types
buns: type?[/b]
hotdog buns: kelseygirl's mom
ice:
(1) kelseygirl -
drinks:
(1) kelseygirl - 2-2liter sodas, and a case of bottled water and flavor packets, and CUPS
(2) OrpingtonManor - case of Hansen's and a case (70) of 8oz bottled water
children's activities: coodinator??
grown-up activities: coodinator??
first-aid/ shade structures: coordinator??

shade structure: kelseygirl's mom
swap table/area and BIOSECURITY: SilverPhoenix, coodinator
sponsor/ business tables: coodinator??
clean-up: coordinator ?? (clean up committee members: Joan)

let me know if there is something you want me to add!

Steffanie (Orp)

here are the people who have responded, and number attending:
1 Nifty-Chicken - from Pleasant Hill, prefers it to be in the East Bay area (anywhere between Oakley, Danville and Livermore)
2 jeaucamom (Suzy) - has offered her place in Auburn. she also requests late morning to afternoon so she can go to the awesome swap meet.
3 SilverPhoenix - 1person, but possibly 2 or 3
4 laurieks - 0 people (cruisin')
5 Gazinga - likes any location
6 kelseygirl - hosting! 9 people
7 CrazyCatNChickenLady - likes any location, but especially Auburn, and is willing to help with food
8 looptloop - likes Auburn, but willing to go to any location
9 eastbaychicks - can't come.
barnie.gif

10 ibpboo - from Monterey, would prefer a place a little further south
11 LilBizzy - from Maryland, but she wants an excuse to come back to CA
big_smile.png

12 AmCanyonStables - is miles ahead of me. has already made a list like this. cool! from American Canyon, so North Bay.
13 mcforys (Maureen) - from Oakland, helped plan the 2004 Chickenstock
14 mtcookie - from Santa Cruz, says Susanville is too far
15 lizardz - from Grass Valley, didn't state a preference
16 CherylCohen - 0 people (family emergency)
17 gpamela3499 - 0 people, but will make it next year!
18 SC_Hugh - can't come.
hit.gif

19 urbanfarmboi - 0 people (location too far)
20 SunnyDawn - 2 people, willing to do pulled pork and BBQ (
droolin.gif
)
21 cluckhead - from Livermore
22 poltroon - not sure what the preference, or if they want to come
23 wolftracks - 4 people
24 flowerchicks - 2 people
25 mypicklebird - from Sonoma County, can contribute tables and something for the potluck
26 foxflower - from Surprise Valley, prefers northern, Auburn okay, can't come to east bay
27 johnrillamas - at least 1 person
28 suzettex5 - 7 people
29 Twilight Mom - from Livermore, prefers East Bay
30 oh, and ME, OrpingtonManor (Steffanie) - 4 people (myself, whattheflock and his son and a friend)

total as of 6/3/10 = 24 to 26 peeps

Last edited:
I don't know how much time I will have to help plan, but I would be more than happy to volunteer for whatever is needed on the day. Where did it happen last year and how much space do we need?

Last year, we held it at Larkey Park in Concord. Nifty and I plotted and schemed, and pulled it off in just a few weeks. It was tough to get people to come because we didn't give them much notice. I was determined to make this year different. It's possible that the same location would be fine, but with reservations. I think it depends on whether we are swapping chickens, and how many people we have, and how far they are travelling. If we were on private property, or even a campground, we might get people to come from further away.

Steffanie, you're my hero for starting this thread!!!
bow.gif

Yup, last time was in the middle/end of Summer and was at Larkey Park in Walnut Creek.

It was a TON of fun, but we vowed to have much more notice next time to really get the word out! We've got a LOT of peeps in the Bay Area and I know with enough notice some would come from outside of the Bay to attend.

A lot of our BYC friends out east have huge tracts of land and often have gatherings at their homes. If we can't work out a park, maybe we can find someone in the East Bay that has a bit of property? Last year I was talking to the manager of Concord Feed and mentioned that we were talking about a large Bay Area Chickenstock and he said he too might be interested in participating.

Steffanie, are you thinking a Springtime Chickenstock or more like early Summer? I don't think we need to worry about the banner availability as much as just trying to find a time and location that works the best for as many peeps as possible.

This time I'm definitely bringing name tags and we should post everyone's names and pics so we know in advance who to look out for!
wink.png

I would offer our property we have about 2 usable acres with a fair amount of parking space.. but.. we are up in Auburn.. Not sure if folks want to come this far. Anyway.... if you have a good place down there that would be great. Think about all the feed stores offering door prizes etc for being "allowed" to set a booth or table!!

Nifty, I wasn't thinking about a particular time, but thought it would be fun if we got past the issue of RAIN.
hmm.png
Also, I have to figure this out because I'm going to NC for my mom's 70th birthday at the the end of June. I can adjust the dates if I know when we want to have the Chickenstock. So, PEEPS?? When are you busy? When are you available? Let's talk!!!
big_smile.png

I'm no expert at this, but I'd vote for a time that is on a Saturday BEFORE school is out for Summer break and before peeps will be doing lots of vacations and traveling. What about in May? Not too hot and we should be past most of the rain at that point too.

Maybe the weekend before Memorial Day, there will be lots of people out of town for that and it is still early enough in the year that if we get lots of people excited about chickens, it is still a good time for them to get chicks!

Quote:
I was going to say pick the weekend that Concord feed has it's big sale (was it Concord feed?), but I'm after King Feeds, and I don't see Concord on their dealer list. So anytime is fine. I need lots of notice so I can be off work.

I just hatched my first Mottled Javas, and I think I will be getting more eggs soon. Just in case anyone wants some
smile.png

What happens at a Chickenstock?

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom