No chickens were harmed - Raccoon swarm

PoleFarm

Songster
May 22, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY
First night in the coop I thought one of the girls had caught her toe on something. Yes, a raccoon! So, the side panels go in every night. That's with 1/2" hardware cloth over the manufacturers 1" cloth. The lower level is done in 1/4" HC and I'd use that all over if I ever have to do it again.

The floor of the coop is plastic grating, plenty of ventilation coming up into their night roost through the lower half of this coop.

It sure inspires any extra security measures as I build their ultimate home.
F25F3105-1592-4FB5-B4BB-A9E9B71F9947.jpeg

Attachments

• 3C6C291F-F3F8-4B5A-A0E5-2F7E6A8AD393.jpeg
    3C6C291F-F3F8-4B5A-A0E5-2F7E6A8AD393.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 35
Glad you took the extra steps to keep them safe. Coons and incredibly strong and crafty. I'd eliminate them.
There's a whole mountain of hooligans just behind and above the house. I wonder if getting rid of the raccoons would make room for the fox I see all over town but only once here. Or for the black bears to wander up from the deli dumpsters about 6 blocks away.

There's a few ways to make them go away. I'm limited by being in city limits. Discharching any weapons isn't allowed.

A friend had a tiger sanctuary (no joke, he married into a circus). He had double fences to keep neighbors dogs out.

There's a whole mountain of hooligans just behind and above the house. I wonder if getting rid of the raccoons would make room for the fox I see all over town but only once here. Or for the black bears to wander up from the deli dumpsters about 6 blocks away.

There's a few ways to make them go away. I'm limited by being in city limits. Discharching any weapons isn't allowed.

A friend had a tiger sanctuary (no joke, he married into a circus). He had double fences to keep neighbors dogs out.
trap and relocate an option?

trap and relocate an option?
Illegal in NY to relocate other than you own land.
Plus your only taking your problems and putting them on someone else. The relocated coon has no idea where to forage food in a new area, and the resident Coons will harass and attack the new guy. Most relocated animals suffer a worse fate than most believe.

Plus your only taking your problems and putting them on someone else. The relocated coon has no idea where to forage food in a new area, and the resident Coons will harass and attack the new guy. Most relocated animals suffer a worse fate than most believe.
This is my understanding too.

Those coon are not keeping the fox or bears away. Give them time they will investigate.

discreetly, yes. Legal? No. It's a matter of balance.
i know but not many options unless your like the neighbor down the road who uses poison and tells people it's "not my fault they get into it". i prefer the shoot method but since thats not an option you locating them might be the only way. eventually they may find a way in then youll have to choose

no trust me i know. but when it comes to down to it if i didnt have the option of firing a weapon then id relocate it or risk my birds. and im not risking my birds just to be nice to some coons

Back
Top Bottom