No chickens were harmed - Raccoon swarm

I've only managed to raise chickens without setting traps or shooting anything by keeping them contained in secure pens close to the house.If my chickens free ranged on a couple acres it would change everything.

My theory is that it’s better to have predators who have tried and failed to get into the coop - after they’ve tried a couple of times, they will give up. Weirdly, the only issue we have had with raccoons is them getting into the feed and eating eggs. We’ve never had one attack our chickens, going on 10 years now. I’ve watched raccoons walk through the middle of my flock. Maybe my area has enough resources that raccoons don’t resort to killing chickens. <knocks on wood>

My theory is that it’s better to have predators who have tried and failed to get into the coop - after they’ve tried a couple of times, they will give up. Weirdly, the only issue we have had with raccoons is them getting into the feed and eating eggs. We’ve never had one attack our chickens, going on 10 years now. I’ve watched raccoons walk through the middle of my flock. Maybe my area has enough resources that raccoons don’t resort to killing chickens. <knocks on wood>
Knocking on wood for and with you.

The raccoons here don't fuss with the yard cat. I think they all have the same meal route worked out from house to house around here.

yeah them and opossums will always go for the easier targets first but once they get that juicy chicken taste it's all over. so i dont even let them get eggs anymore

My neighbor had 7 (!) raccoons get into her coop, not at the same time. All they ate were the eggs. LOTS of eggs.

OP, How about an electric fence to keep them away from your coop?
I know electric fences exist. It's definitely worth considering. I knew there were a "few" raccoons around. Seeing 4 of them give the coop the bums rush gave me shivers. I'll be looking further into electric fencing. Are raccoons as smart as the groundhog in the book "The $64 tomato"? That thing could jump through the fence off cycle of the A/C. Which, btw, took place in this part of the country.

Back
Top Bottom