no chickens yet !!! but looking for good quiet layers

Carol Abe

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
near LOS ANGELES, California
Hi...im near Pasadena, California..
Our property is half acre but narrow. so i need quiet hens & easy as im a beginner. ANY SUGGESTIONS? we also have coyotes, hawks, owls & cats !!! so ill do lots of reading on predator proofing.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (which by extension usually means "quieter" breeds as well) include Silkies, Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles. If eggs are a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. All of these breeds are relatively quiet (as chickens go), but the very quietest ones that I've had have been Silkies and Brahmas. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Michael.

Sex links, leghorns and RIRs are some of the best egg laying breeds there are. They are machines! However all three of them tend to be more on the aggressive and loud side. Buff orpingtons, australorps, barred rocks and sussexs are you next option. These breeds are all affectionate, curious, calmer and good layers. Silkies are great pets and poor layers. Cochins are like silkies.

Good luck picking the perfect breed for you!

Hi...im near Pasadena, California..
Our property is half acre but narrow. so i need quiet hens & easy as im a beginner. ANY SUGGESTIONS? we also have coyotes, hawks, owls & cats !!! so ill do lots of reading on predator proofing.
welcome-byc.gif
My production birds are loud when they do their " I laid an egg" bragging song. They sound loud alarm calls for ground predators too. Roosters can easily be heard 5 acres away. maybe bantams like silkies would be good What is your reason for quiet? Chickens go to bed at dusk so as long as you don't have roosters, the noise of hens should be tolerable during the day. Other posters may know more specific quiet breeds if there is such a thing ?!

:welcome My production birds are loud when they do their " I laid an egg" bragging song. They sound loud alarm calls for ground predators too. Roosters can easily be heard 5 acres away. maybe bantams like silkies would be good  What is your reason for quiet? Chickens go to bed at dusk so as long as you don't have roosters, the noise of hens should be tolerable during the day. Other posters may know more specific quiet breeds if there is such a thing ?!

:welcome My production birds are loud when they do their " I laid an egg" bragging song. They sound loud alarm calls for ground predators too. Roosters can easily be heard 5 acres away. maybe bantams like silkies would be good  What is your reason for quiet? Chickens go to bed at dusk so as long as you don't have roosters, the noise of hens should be tolerable during the day. Other posters may know more specific quiet breeds if there is such a thing ?!

oh...squawking when laying an egg is fine but our lot is narrow and i don't want neighbors mad (im not getting a rooster only hens). just so the breeds not overly noisy. ill research silkies too ! thank you !

Last edited:
oh...squawking when laying an egg is fine but our lot is narrow and i don't want neighbors mad (im not getting a rooster only hens). just so the breeds not overly noisy.

Got it. As the other posters said, buff orpingtons are good too. I think mine get loud in the coop because the RIR's are so loud. I got amber links this year, they are very docile and quiet. Not too many people have them for some reason but they lay pretty dark brown eggs. They are a strain off of isa browns which are also easy going.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (which by extension usually means "quieter" breeds as well) include Silkies, Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles. If eggs are a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. All of these breeds are relatively quiet (as chickens go), but the very quietest ones that I've had have been Silkies and Brahmas. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom