No clue what this is

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
My Buff Brahma pullet, Cheshire, has been acting super weird. I have her inside in a kennel right now. I’ve checked her for lice many many times because she’s losing a lot of feathers but I can’t find anything. She’s super sleepy and very cuddly but is also so sleepy that she can’t be okay. It’s been like this for nearly a week I’ve had her inside for three or four days. She eats alright and I think is drinking water. I was thinking a parasite but I can’t find anything hinting at that either. I’m at a complete loss at what’s going on with her. She goes to sleep when I pet her, lays down if I so much as place my hand on her back. I’ve noticed she does occasionally lean in her right and left side while laying

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 18
She may be molting. I would probably keep her with her flock unless she is bullied. She would probably be happier. The longer she is separated, it may be hard to put her back and be accepted. I would offer her some wet chicken feed and scrambled egg at least once a day. Does she lay eggs now? Is her crop emptying overnight? What do her poops look like? Is her tail held up or down?

How old is she? What are you feeding her (feed + treats & supplements)?
She’s about four or five months old. She has soy and corn free layers feed and chick feed, mealworms and kitchen scraps (non acidic, I make sure it won’t hurt them before tossing it out) right now she has electrolytes and pet stress relief in her water but I don’t know if she’s drinking water.

I was just thinking maybe it’s a super early molt so it’s uncomfortable? She’s losing a lot of feathers but I’ve check her neck, head, under her wings, her back, her feet and her vent and I see no bugs what so ever

How are her eyes and breathing? Any cloudiness or strain? Are her earlobes a bright normal color?
Eggcessive raises a good point - check the poop color and consistency, that's very important for monitoring health!

She may be molting. I would probably keep her with her flock unless she is bullied. She would probably be happier. The longer she is separated, it may be hard to put her back and be accepted. I would offer her some wet chicken feed and scrambled egg at least once a day. Does she lay eggs now? Is her crop emptying overnight? What do her poops look like? Is her tail held up or down?
Her tail goes up and down like it normally does, she’s not eating much and I don’t know if she’s drinking so I’m keeping her inside where I can give her water through a dropper.
She’s not pooping much but is still and I think thats due to her little appetite. She’s a few months away from laying I think she will start around august, her crop is feeling pretty empty I haven’t checked it at night

How are her eyes and breathing? Any cloudiness or strain? Are her earlobes a bright normal color?
Eggcessive raises a good point - check the poop color and consistency, that's very important for monitoring health!
Her eyes and breathing are normal but her face is a bit darker then I remember, more purple then red I’ll see if I can find some before and after photos

the first one is her sister who is the same age and breed, but there’s the before and after

Attachments

• IMG_9759.jpeg
    IMG_9759.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9760.jpeg
    IMG_9760.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 15
@Mountain Peeps @TwoCrows is this molting do you think?
Are her feathers falling out evenly on both sides?
Something else you might want to check is the nutrition. If she's on a egg layer diet you could be running into issues with excess calcium or vitamins... But I would think you'd see more signs in the entire flock if that was the case.

Back
Top Bottom