No clue what this is

It does look like molting, for me it is the head that shows she may be molting. Birds can molt any time of the year however generally the shortening of the days triggers the molt cycle.

This said, stress can trigger a molt too. Can you think if anything that might be stressing her out? Is she being bullied or are there predators lurking at night? Any coop changes, feed changes?

She is awful young, she may be sort of stuck in a molt. Her body is not yet mature.

@Mountain Peeps @TwoCrows is this molting do you think?
Are her feathers falling out evenly on both sides?
Something else you might want to check is the nutrition. If she's on a egg layer diet you could be running into issues with excess calcium or vitamins... But I would think you'd see more signs in the entire flock if that was the case.
It’s up to them, they free range so they have the choice between layer feed and chick feed. I’m not sure about her feathers I’ve only seen two fall out the rest are just feathers scattered all around in the kennel

It does look like molting, for me it is the head that shows she may be molting. Birds can molt any time of the year however generally the shortening of the days triggers the molt cycle.

This said, stress can trigger a molt too. Can you think if anything that might be stressing her out? Is she being bullied or are there predators lurking at night? Any coop changes, feed changes?

She is awful young, she may be sort of stuck in a molt. Her body is not yet mature.
If anyone was stressed out I’d think it would be my rooster, other then that there shouldn’t be anything stressing them out no she’s one of my most laid back calm chickens.
There were predators but ever since I got my new rooster I haven’t seen any, same feed as always and the same coop setup I’ve had for months.

That’s what I thought, don’t they molt at a year old?

If anyone was stressed out I’d think it would be my rooster, other then that there shouldn’t be anything stressing them out no she’s one of my most laid back calm chickens.
There were predators but ever since I got my new rooster I haven’t seen any, same feed as always and the same coop setup I’ve had for months.

Did you have any kind of big storm or car backfire or any sort of loud noise? Chickens can stress over loud sudden noises. And as far as I know they usually molt at a year but they can start dropping feathers pretty much anytime.
When did you get your rooster? Was that before or after you started noticing issues with the hen?

Did you have any kind of big storm or car backfire or any sort of loud noise? Chickens can stress over loud sudden noises. And as far as I know they usually molt at a year but they can start dropping feathers pretty much anytime.
When did you get your rooster? Was that before or after you started noticing issues with the hen?
He’s been here for awhile, two or three months ish? He generally leaves her alone, she stays with her sister and her rooster who is a little older than her.
The neighbors across the street just put up a fence awhile ago? That’s all I can think, the weather has been weird too. Rainy to sunny to rainy and so on but no storms

Chicks molt about 6 or 7 times until they are mature. They generally don't molt that first fall and wait until the following fall. So it's possible her body is still in the molt mode. If she is doing well in every other aspect, it's probably nothing to worry about. Molting can cause them to be tired, they can go off their feed and sometimes get diarrhea. You might offer up a good poultry supplement like Poultry Cell, and keep her on chick starter, it's high in protein.

He’s been here for awhile, two or three months ish? He generally leaves her alone, she stays with her sister and her rooster who is a little older than her.
The neighbors across the street just put up a fence awhile ago? That’s all I can think, the weather has been weird too. Rainy to sunny to rainy and so on but no storms
Changes in weather patterns might be a trigger as well, especially if you have broad temperature swings. I agree with TwoCrows on the molt mode. If she isn't showing any other symptoms it would be really hard to diagnose it as anything other than that. If she's eating and drinking that's a positive sign as well.

Chicks molt about 6 or 7 times until they are mature. They generally don't molt that first fall and wait until the following fall. So it's possible her body is still in the molt mode. If she is doing well in every other aspect, it's probably nothing to worry about. Molting can cause them to be tired, they can go off their feed and sometimes get diarrhea. You might offer up a good poultry supplement like Poultry Cell, and keep her on chick starter, it's high in protein.
Only other issue she’s having is not drinking water… but I can get that to her through a dropper. Thank you! I’ll check the nearby feed store for the supplement

Only other issue she’s having is not drinking water… but I can get that to her through a dropper. Thank you! I’ll check the nearby feed store for the supplement
Maybe you aren't seeing her drink? Generally if a bird is eating, it's drinking. However a bird drinking is not necessarily eating. So if she is eating lightly, she is probably drinking too, but lightly as well.

Maybe you aren't seeing her drink? Generally if a bird is eating, it's drinking. However a bird drinking is not necessarily eating. So if she is eating lightly, she is probably drinking too, but lightly as well.
I haven’t noticed a change in the amount of water and it’s not a very big dish, she did spill it yesterday before I could check how full it was

Back
Top Bottom