No comb...

CTChickenMom

Songster
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
SE Connecticut
So I have this bantam hen I'm taking care of and I noticed today that she has no comb. She is an EE, a pretty young one I think. I don't know if she never had one or the one she had was cut off. The area where it should be is pink (like there was one there) but its flat to the top of her head. What do you think?

Most of the EEs I've raised do that those very small pea combs. You're right, it kind of looks like she doesn't have a comb, but I believe the pink area is just her version of the pea comb. I don't think anything is wrong with her. Not sure of her age, but she's looks fine and maybe as she ages it will grow a bit.....

So I have this bantam hen I'm taking care of and I noticed today that she has no comb. She is an EE, a pretty young one I think. I don't know if she never had one or the one she had was cut off. The area where it should be is pink (like there was one there) but its flat to the top of her head. What do you think?
Your right, it does look like that, but some breeds have small 'pea combs'. I have buckeyes and here's a few pictures of a pea comb.
smile.png
I don't think anything is wrong with your hen.

Back
Top Bottom