Thanks for this! We are going to start this weekend!

How many chickens are you making it for, 5 right? I will draw you up a super basic plan tomorrow if you like so you know what to buy. I assume you have a Lowe's local to you? Also, this is just a coop right, not a wired-in run?

Is it possible to just build a super secure, covered run that has roosts and nesting boxes (when the start laying)?

Idk if it helps at all, but we live in Louisiana where it doesn’t get super cold. We would most likely build a coop down the road, just spaced out over time to help with the cost of things.

The chickens need protection from predators, and from the weather (shade from sun, shelter from wind/rain/snow).

I think your covered run idea would probably work fine in that climate.

If you're concerned about what the chickens like: I see plenty of threads about chickens who want to roost in the run at night, instead of going into the coop. (Usually, the concerned owner is trying to teach the chickens to sleep inside because their run is not safe. But you already intend to build your run such that it IS safe.)

I think your covered run idea would probably work fine in that climate.
Ditto Dat!

we live in Louisiana
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1628161986429.png

Ditt

We’re raising our first 5 chicks right now! They’re almost 2 weeks old. We were going to build a coop/run while they were in the brooder for the first 5ish weeks, but it is looking like it is going to be pretty expensive with the price of lumbar right now.

Is it possible to just build a super secure, covered run that has roosts and nesting boxes (when the start laying)?

Idk if it helps at all, but we live in Louisiana where it doesn’t get super cold. We would most likely build a coop down the road, just spaced out over time to help with the cost of things.
I upcycled pallets to build my coops I would see if you could find a place to get pallets from mine were free this is my small coop all upcycled pallets and window frames

Attachments

• 20200812_180512.jpg
    20200812_180512.jpg
    936.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom