No Crow Rooster Collar?

Jul 13, 2018
Southern California
Hey guys I have a question. I’ve been thinking of getting a no crow rooster collar for my 29 week old hen who always sounds like a siren. I have two questions: Should I even get a no crow rooster collar? I heard that some people call it cruel. Would the no crow rooster collar work on hens? Is it safe for hens? That’s more like three questions. One more question: I sphere a way to make now row rooster collars? Thanks in advance!

Doubt it would do much on a hen. I think the rooster collar is designed to work with a big puff of air, like the amount of air a rooster inhales or exhales when it crows. I don't think a hen takes in near the amount of air a rooster does when she's making a racket. In order for it to work on a hen, it would probably have to be tighter than when it's on a rooster and there would be little room for error.

Never had one or seen one, just the way I've been told they work, I might be completely wrong.

She’s a yellow naked neck. She would NOT like the water bottle though. All my hens hate whenever I try watering the garden. When, I sometimes accidentally wet her, her whole entire neck and head turn bright red and, she screams louder. Thanks for the tip though!

when a rooster crows, they take a huge inhale to make the sound. The collar is loose, with 2-3 fingers worth of space between the neck and collar, but it prevents the roo from getting enough air to make a full on crow. the result is a straggled, raspy sound. I'm not sure, but I highly doubt your hen is using this method to make sound, or at least a very slimmed down version of it. Like Al Capon said, the collar would probably have to be very tight to be effective, which could prove to be a sad mistake. I don't think this is the best option for your situation. However, I have heard of shutting a roo in a dark kennel every time he crows, and eventually he learns to stop crowing. Maybe this could work on your hen?
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom