No Crow Rooster collar

I have a No Crow Collar and currently I'm not satisfied. It has turned my Roos crow from a cock-a-doodle-do to a cock-a-doodle-choke.
The instructions are not detailed enough to be idiot proof and evidently I'm too much of an idiot to get the collar set correctly, it would seem. I have seen a video on YouTube of one happy No Crow Collar customer (I can't paste the link with my mobile). I'm feeling that the collar has potential but needs improvement with either the design or customer education to make it a viable option. There is another video on YouTube of a person who has used industrial strength 2" Velcro to good effect, I'm thinking that may have to be my next option.
I roost my bird in the garage at night during the same house that a local sound ordinance limits large equipment from running, however, I'm still getting hassled, my neighbors will tolerate kids squealing at all hours and dogs barking, but my rooster crowing during the day is just too much for them.

I use just a kids sock or Velcro collar for my roosters (pretty close to the no crow). I love it. I've always liked my roosters and their crows more then hens but since I moved into a town, one that doesn't allow chickens to begin with, I have to be careful of noise. I have three roos, they do normal sounds but barely crow if at all. One I think I have to adjust but he is just audible. The second sounds like a dove if he tries(once every few days), and the third doesn't even try crowing. Definitely worth trying if you can't have them crowing their wonderful songs.

I'd really love to see pictures or a diagram of how the sock option is done. It may help me figure out what I'm doing wrong with my No Crow Collar.

My family is from Malta, and like ErniesFlock said, crowing is just part of Malta's ambiance. Unfortunately, we live in an area in the US where roosters are not allowed. Our backyard shares fences with five other houses. We talked to our neighbors and they said they don't mind the rooster crowing, but I'm sure their attitudes will change once he fully matures. We live near a train station, airport, and one of our neighbors runs a daycare for young, noisy kids and another neighbor has a yappy dog. I personally, don't mind all of this noise, I have been living here long enough that you can't really hear it unless you are actively trying to. I just hope my neighbors have some lenience for me with my rooster.

We just put the no-crow collar on our Easter Egger cockerel today, and hopefully it will work. Initially, he hated the collar; he was walking backwards, scratching at it, making distress sounds, and the pullets were pecking at it. He even managed to get it off (I really don't want to put the collar too tight). It brought back a lot of memories of when I first put a collar onto my dog when she was 7 weeks old. I'm hoping it won't take 4 months to adjust to the collar like it did for my dog. Right now, this collar is the only thing standing between my rooster and a soup pot.

NewlyHatchedEgg if your boy is like mine it will take maybe a day for him to forget its there... especially if he is busy doing stuff. Each day I tightened it up a little more to now where I am able to get my pinky under the collar. His crow is realistically a 6/10 and it almost feels like he just gives up sooner with the collar on.

Speaking of noisy kids my neighborhood is full of them... all ages of range from screaming little 5 year olds to shouting swearing teens... my Roosters crowing almost comes as a notification of serenity and that life is good!

Please be careful with these. A friend of mine is currently beating herself up pretty hard because her roo died with one of these on. This lady loved her roo very much, and just wanted to be sure she didn't have to get rid of him for the crowing. She put the collar on and he was still able to crow, so she went out and tightened it just slightly. It was too much. When she went out to check on him a short time later, he was dead and she feels horrible. She's just sick. And while we were discussing what happened to her, another person chimed in and said that she put one on her roo and within a short time he was laying on his side, gasping. She ripped that thing off and got rid of it. These are not careless women - they are conscientious chicken owners with lots of experience and didn't tighten these things carelessly - just very slight, minute adjustments. It doesn't take much to go too far with them.

I am so so sorry to hear about your friends rooster! That is so sad. So far with ours it seems to be effective he has had it on for over a week and he doesn't even notice its there. I probably could tighten it up some more but I didn't want to take any chances. You cant even notice it under his hackles.

Was it the actual No Crow collar manufactured in Michigan? Or was it another collar? I only ask because I reviewed several online before making my final decision with this one. Did your friend contact the seller?

Once again our condolences to your friends bird :,(

I am so so sorry to hear about your friends rooster! That is so sad. So far with ours it seems to be effective he has had it on for over a week and he doesn't even notice its there. I probably could tighten it up some more but I didn't want to take any chances. You cant even notice it under his hackles.

Was it the actual No Crow collar manufactured in Michigan? Or was it another collar? I only ask because I reviewed several online before making my final decision with this one. Did your friend contact the seller?

Once again our condolences to your friends bird :,(

I will ask her, and let her know that you sent your condolences. She feels so horrible.

Edited to add: I am not condemning the product itself, because I don't know enough about them to make that call. I'm just imploring folks to be careful if they do choose to use them.

Last edited:
Oh I hear ya bro we wer talking about this earlier people ok with dogs and other noise but north americans have been conditioned to not like the sound of a rooster. In my hometown in Ontario people were allowed to raise livestock right up until the early 1950's just as the sale and industrialization of chicken eggs etc Keeping them out of the city makes folks have to go buy from store no hassle. That really worked out great didnt it? The whole agri/monoculture movement has been a huge fail with devastating effects... anywasy a little off topic but yes a little crowing to me aint no big deal!

hello,

hoping you could tell me how it's going with your rooster collar. unfortunately we live in a city that doesn't allow them and we are 90% sure we have a rooster. My husband feels we should wait until we get a complaint and then find him a home (which will be hard), I disagree and ordered the collar. I went thru the same thing the first day that I put it on-it was too loose and he got it caught in his beak, just like they say-putting a bandana over a cats ears-he went backward and sideways but did adjust. I tightened it a little, not too much so he could get used to it. the others pecked at the fancy little yellow logo. it's cute but I cut that off as I felt that was stressful.
we are on day 3 and still crowing. This is a 3 month old Easter Egger so not super loud and only like 6-7 times in the early morning when I'm out there.
I'm really bummed today as I felt it was tight enough. I got a size 10 -maybe too big? but felt it was the better choice to grab a bigger one for when he grows. it's hard to adjust -it's almost overlapping.

now I'm very nervous reading the last of this thread that the woman's rooster died. I would be besides myself and also never live it down with my husband. I've been out a few times this morning, all still ok.....eating, drinking, playing.....but now I'm nervous to leave today.

can you tell me how it went with you and how long it took to work (if it did).

we have had a few chickens before-4 hens, they each passed. we thought we would open our hearts and do this again but never expected the rooster. but that happens. I want to keep all the chickens as my heart is deep into this now.

so sad our Bella is now a Beau-but he is beautiful. we want to give him a good life and not take a chance that someone will take him only to kill him.

thanks for any feedback.

Back
Top Bottom