No eggs at 17 weeks

Flame80

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Deep East Texas Sabine County
My white leghorns are 17 weeks old and have not laid the first egg yet. They go up in their coop where the nesting boxes are every night. But I see IN FRONT of the nesting boxes they waller out areas in the wood shavings like nests. But do not go into the boxes where I have hay in there? Not sure what is going on. They have been on grower feed for 10 weeks and I have been putting grit out for about a month now. Am I just trying to rush them? I read that whiteleghorns tend to lay earlier than other breeds so was hopeul to have eggs by 16 weeks. I have been "smoothing back over" the wallered out spots in front of the nesting boxes hoping they will use the box instead. Should I not do that? Just let them lay wherever they feel comfortable?

Most of my readings suggest White Leghorns begin laying about 20 weeks on average, though as early as 17 weeks isn't unheard of. I'm in similar position, you can see my flock in my sig, below. Theoretically, my Comets should have started - the beginning of their expected laying range was two, almost three, weeks ago. My Rainbows also should have started, about a week ago (6 days, but who is anxiously counting, right?).

NO EGGS.

Otoh, one of my Pekins is laying - about three weeks early. and also, I believe (though I've not caught her doing the deed) one of my Cornish Cross (data on CX as layers is sparse and ranges wildly, not sure if its in the normal range or not). My other Pekin hens, and the other CX pullet, are not.

I counsel patience, and share in your suffering. We can commiserate together. When a hen starts laying is not so reliable that we can set a calendar by it, best we can do is mark a month and expect it will frequently be true.

my chickens combs and waddles have been huge and red for 4 weeks now and still no eggs- they are 20 week old red sex links. Do you think i have something to worry about since its been way longer than 2 weeks?
No. You have nothing to worry about.

Each bird is different, each breed is different. They aren't unhealthy because they don't lay perfectly on time.
I've had birds take as long as 8+ months.

1599753288515.png

Back
Top Bottom