No eggs for 4 days

lollywood

In the Brooder
Please Help me understand my girls... they're all just over a year old this summer and they all free range and lay like clockwork inn the coop until now. I haven't seen any eggs for 3 or 4 days; and I've been trying to break to two that are displaying broodiness because they're hogging the nesting box. I think this is causing the others not to lay in the coop anymore. Is that possible? I have looked all over the yard each day and not finding any eggs anywhere.
your advice is much appreciated.

Im having the same issue . My 5 adult hens are a year old today(and tomorrow) and they havent laid a single egg in 2 or 3 days, at least none I can find.

Its been near 100 degrees, so Im blaming that.

Good questions from @azygous and @rosemarythyme .
Answering them @lollywood would help us help you.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1594725562917.png

Good questions from @azygous and @rosemarythyme .
Answering them @lollywood would help us help you.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2242818
Thank you for the pointer - I'm in NW Michigan... tip of the pinky. We had a hot spell, and they all layed thru it for almost 2 weeks straight, but the last 2 days have been more moderate temps (70's). I have a covered pen separate from the coop where I've had to quarantine the two brooders yesterday and today. One seems to be breaking the habit easier than the other, but still no eggs. Im worried they're laying in the yard somewhere which may attract predators.

Last edited:
We had a hot spell, and they all layed thru it for almost 2 weeks straight, but the last 2 days have been more moderate temps (70's). I have a covered pen separate from the coop where I've had to quarantine the two brooders yesterday and today. One seems to be breaking the habit easier than the other, but still no eggs. Im worried they're laying in the yard somewhere which may attract predators.

Heat could still be a factor as it comes and goes (and this July is flat out hot in 90% of the US).

Breaking the broodies will definitely help, as they not only hog nestboxes but are just generally cranky and unpleasant for the other hens to be around.

The broodies could also be a factor in "encouraging" the other hens to lay in the free range area. Chickens can be very creative in where they lay... folks on here have found clusters of eggs in weird places like the roof of a truck submerged in water!

Please Help me understand my girls... they're all just over a year old this summer and they all free range and lay like clockwork inn the coop until now. I haven't seen any eggs for 3 or 4 days; and I've been trying to break to two that are displaying broodiness because they're hogging the nesting box. I think this is causing the others not to lay in the coop anymore. Is that possible? I have looked all over the yard each day and not finding any eggs anywhere.
your advice is much appreciated.
How hot is it there?

Back
Top Bottom