no eggs in almost 2 months

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greenpeeps, Jan 13, 2010.

1. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    so about 2 months ago the crazy weather started and so did the molting. Cold then hot, it seemed the molting took forever. The molting was finally done but no eggs.

During this time I ended up purchasing feed from TS, their brand , because the feed store was closed, it was sat, ya know.... I really ddidn't like the feed so again didn't make it in time to the feed store ( five mins late) so back to TS and I looked a little more and found the Layana, so we grabbed that one instead of the TS feed. More protein (2%) good right??

Still no eggs. So deep cleaned the coop and run. Added more straw, and made sure they were getting some fresh veggies.

What can I do?? They seem very happy and fat. [​IMG]

2. SallyOK

SallyOK New Egg

Jun 12, 2009
    Do you have a light on in your coop?

3. greenpeeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Nope no light, still looking for the timer.

4. FaereChicken

FaereChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    N. Central Maryland
    I have a 40 watt bulb that stays on 24/7 for heat, and it probably stimulates egg production a little more than it should.

5. Glenbogel06

Glenbogel06 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    With moult and then the bad weather, my hens hadn't laid in a several months either. Then we had to set up a heat lamp for a momma and baby chick and about two weeks later they started laying. I don't know if it was because of the light from the heat lamp, or if it was just time to for them to start laying again.

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Some have posted on here that they used warm water, and some have posted that they used Calf-Manna to jump-start them after molt.

I hope mine never molt in cold weather. They molted in Sept and were 3 mo old. When they came out of molt, they were 4 mo old and began to lay. Going gangbusters all winter long on natural light only and only feeding Dumor 16% layer pellets and crumbles mixed, besides treats of veggies, fruit, scratch.

7. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine haven't laid either in several months. I have RIR's. I sold some of the same flock when they were younger and the people told me that they started getting eggs about a month ago. I ask them how they were feeding, watering, bedding, etc. They are doing exactly the same as me. I found on here that more lighting is probably needed. Its semi dark in the hen house even in the middle of the day. I installed a 4ft shop light on a timer today. It will come on at 3 am and go off at 5 pm. This is just a trial run to see if it makes a difference. I am hoping it will. I am giving it about a week to see if there is any change.

8. greenpeeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Thanks everyone. I feel a lot better. The plans for the new coop will include at least one outlet for a light.

9. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    I'd give it a little more time. Mine didn't lay a single egg for 2 1/2 months after they started to molt. I didn't give them anything special to eat or any extra light.

10. PIO-PIO

PIO-PIO Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    POINCIANA, FL
    glad to see im not the only one dealing with this. no eggs either since November. I had 1 girl in molt then but they just all stopped laying. Now shes full feathered again and the other 3 are starting to molt. looks like i wont be getting any more eggs for awhile yet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by