No Eggs or Only Soft Shell

I'm such a dork. I don't know why I always say Clementine. They're Dominiques... This is the offender :)
20181031_163106.jpg

Attachments

• 20170724_150356.jpg
    20170724_150356.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 1
They were all supposed to be hens, but Tractor Supply apparently doesn't know how to sex them. I purchased 8 "day-old" pullets, but one turned out to be male (a Clementine.) Until I learn more, I can't bring myself to expose any more of these sweet creatures to me :) So far in 2 years they've been under my care:

• I've saved each of my two gold sex links from egg binding (found the treatment here)
  • Treated (successfully) one of the gold sex links fowl pox (found the treatment here)
  • I lost one of my leghorns at a year old. She was having a swollen crop and I used the treatment found on this site until it didn't go away and I asked my vet for x-rays to make sure I wasn't hurting her and we say a screw and a nail in her crop! I took her to Texas A&M to try to save her, but Clostridium got her due to the sepsis from the metal toxicity.
  • And lastly, my female Clementine had an extremely hard molt this winter (90% of the feathers dropped in two days!) and she was in the house for 2 months due to freezing temps. She tried to fly up to the counter and hurt he leg and limped for months after. Now she doesn't know she's a chicken and comes in the house to her cat box to lay her eggs.
I love these babies to death, but I was woefully unprepared for their care. I'm learning as I go and want more later, but for now Mr. Rocky will stay locked up in a time out.

Oh..Tractor Supply yep! That's how I ended up with two roosters thus far:fl but on the other hand I did end up with four Silkies they didn't even know they had so :p

I completely understand, and that is the responsible attitude to have but these things happen to the most experienced chicken owners-that's not me I'm a newbie-haven't even gone through a molt yet! Speaking of molts, have you tried locking Clementine in the coop to retrain her? I don't know, that's seems to be a cure all-lock'em in the coop-lol!

BYC has been a saving grace for sure!

Expect for my Barred Rocks have different combs. What color are her legs?

Yes, the rooster's name is Rocky because we were told they were Barred Rocks, but nope, Dominique. And the rose comb is what pretty much the only difference from the BR. To me, they look almost exactly the same. Their legs are yellow-ish. You can see all of Chuck as she was recouping from her molt. This was about a month into the regrowth:

20181031_163248.jpg

Her name is Chuck because instead of cheeping when she was small she said "chuck-chuck." Still does. My coop is not large enough to lock them all in to retrain Chuck. Besides, she's good company and doesn't poop in the house(!)

Building a 8x8 coop with an 8x20 run, as TSC's coop says comfortably sleeps 9, but my 6 don't have enough room at night and the run so I can have some time off. Torn rotator cuff has delayed me many months. I'll get there though :)

Be ready for the molt, they act really strange and look even stranger. And as far as Chuck, she lost so many feathers at once, I thought a predator had gotten to her when I opened the coop that first morning. Really gave me a scare! I made it through the molt and all my other ERs because of BYC that's for sure!

Yes, the rooster's name is Rocky because we were told they were Barred Rocks, but nope, Dominique. And the rose comb is what pretty much the only difference from the BR. To me, they look almost exactly the same. Their legs are yellow-ish. You can see all of Chuck as she was recouping from her molt. This was about a month into the regrowth:

View attachment 1785654

Her name is Chuck because instead of cheeping when she was small she said "chuck-chuck." Still does. My coop is not large enough to lock them all in to retrain Chuck. Besides, she's good company and doesn't poop in the house(!)

Building a 8x8 coop with an 8x20 run, as TSC's coop says comfortably sleeps 9, but my 6 don't have enough room at night and the run so I can have some time off. Torn rotator cuff has delayed me many months. I'll get there though :)

Be ready for the molt, they act really strange and look even stranger. And as far as Chuck, she lost so many feathers at once, I thought a predator had gotten to her when I opened the coop that first morning. Really gave me a scare! I made it through the molt and all my other ERs because of BYC that's for sure!

So, I bought mine as Barred Rock but then I saw the Plymouth and there was no difference between them. It gets confusing! My 10 Barred Rocks were my first. Along with a Golden Wyandotte Rooster, two sliver duckwinged OEGBs and then Mr.Rooster is a Golden Sebright-a pain in my butt he is! I lost all but four Of my Barred Rocks & Mr.Rooster in my first flock. Now I've 32 chickens and 9 duck and two turkeys! I love them all! Well...maybe not Mr.Rooster he really got me today!

We're having thin shells recently too. Trying to figure out what the cause is. Our rooster isn't young, and he has 10 hens, so over-breeding is an unlikely cause afaik.

My senior girls are or will be seven in September and they are laying strong eggs. Go pick up some oyster shells for the hens. I give mine this all the time. If I give them just a little they have weak egg shells. I give them quite a bit and if they don't need it they won't eat any until they need it. Goldie my avatar picks through the feed and looks for the oyster shells.

Back
Top Bottom