No Eggs or Only Soft Shell

BTW, I am also using ACV, probiotics and just started electrolytes in their water as the temp is creeping up. Could that be it?
I would nix the ACV, it can interfere with calcium uptake.
Nix the probiotics too, unnecessary....
...and just give a dose of EL once a week, always have plain fresh water available also.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Protein and calcium percentages of chicken feed given, please.

I would nix the ACV, it can interfere with calcium uptake.
Nix the probiotics too, unnecessary....
...and just give a dose of EL once a week, always have plain fresh water available also.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Protein and calcium percentages of chicken feed given, please.

On prior advice, as of yesterday they are getting only fresh water. The food is DuMOR Layer feed (the bag say 16% protein and Calcium 3.8% (Min) to 4.8% (Max). They get the crumbles in feeders and have access to it all day. I also take the crumbles and mix with plain water to make a mash. They eat this off and on. They free range every day during daylight, so I'm sure grass, bugs, etc.. In addition, they will occasionally get a banana, get fresh corn on the cob, boiled eggs, cooked hamburger and meal worms. Some days they just seem hungrier than others, then we give them the treats.

Too much?

Hi to my favorite people to go to with my chicken questions. I have 6 2 year old chickens, 5 hens and one rooster. For the past couple of days my girls have either have not laid an egg, or they are soft shelled. They are eating layer feed, I give them crushed egg shells to eat, and they free range during the daylight hours. They've not been interested in the egg shells them the past couple of days either. They are acting and pooping normally, no injuries or bugs, but they do seem to be taking more "naps" than usual.

My questions are:

Since all 5 are having issues could it be stress? Not only have we had some heavy rains, but it's been really windy here in North Texas. In addition, the rooster has started acting up a couple of months ago (must be a late bloomer, he hates me at this point) and we've had more than normal hawk activity lately (breeding season I guess). None are injured, but two have a spot on their backs that are almost completely bald.

Do chickens start to slow down about this age?

If it's not stress, what could affect all the girls at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Amy

Have they gone through a molt yet?

Please let us know if you remove the "extras" from their diet if they start laying again. How long have you been giving them the ACV?

I will. They've been getting ACV for almost a year now (1 tbsp per gallon of water.) I can tell you since I gave them regular water yesterday afternoon, and the rooster's been locked up all morning, I got two eggs today. :) They did have corn last night.

Yay! Maybe Mr. Rooster needs more hens...

They were all supposed to be hens, but Tractor Supply apparently doesn't know how to sex them. I purchased 8 "day-old" pullets, but one turned out to be male (a Clementine.) Until I learn more, I can't bring myself to expose any more of these sweet creatures to me :) So far in 2 years they've been under my care:

• I've saved each of my two gold sex links from egg binding (found the treatment here)
  • Treated (successfully) one of the gold sex links fowl pox (found the treatment here)
  • I lost one of my leghorns at a year old. She was having a swollen crop and I used the treatment found on this site until it didn't go away and I asked my vet for x-rays to make sure I wasn't hurting her and we say a screw and a nail in her crop! I took her to Texas A&M to try to save her, but Clostridium got her due to the sepsis from the metal toxicity.
  • And lastly, my female Clementine had an extremely hard molt this winter (90% of the feathers dropped in two days!) and she was in the house for 2 months due to freezing temps. She tried to fly up to the counter and hurt he leg and limped for months after. Now she doesn't know she's a chicken and comes in the house to her cat box to lay her eggs.
I love these babies to death, but I was woefully unprepared for their care. I'm learning as I go and want more later, but for now Mr. Rocky will stay locked up in a time out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom